Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Weatherstripping around driver door wearing out

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Weatherstripping around driver door wearing out

I just noticed the other day that the weatherstripping around my driver door has wearing out. Right by the door sill. It looks like rubbing on the door. Or the rubber is deteriating prematurely.

I do not rub this part getting in and out of car and I have not used any chemicals to clean and or condition this rubber.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, John
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM

My nephews car did this. But, it was from his butt / hip rubbing
on the way in.

Cajun
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by suburbanjunior
I just noticed the other day that the weatherstripping around my driver door has wearing out. Right by the door sill. It looks like rubbing on the door. Or the rubber is deteriating prematurely.

I do not rub this part getting in and out of car and I have not used any chemicals to clean and or condition this rubber.

Thanks, John
This should be covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by Cajun
My nephews car did this. But, it was from his butt / hip rubbing
on the way in.

Cajun
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 PM

ya mine too But its been so hot I thought it was from my bal...oh never mind
Old 01-09-2009, 06:04 PM

I just noticed my driver side weatherstripping (2006) has a tear in it right at the front where the door meets the front fender. (where the door curves at the very top) When the door closes this part rubs. this is all one piece and it goes over both doors down the rear door and terminates at the running board. (Hope I explaind this well) I called Chevy and they said it would be covered under warranty but I'm concerned that if replaced it won't fit as good as the factory piece and possibly leak. Anyone else had this piece replaced? and should I be worrying needlessly? I believe this piece had snaps every few inches or so and just snaps in? Thanks much for your replies. Regards, Chuck

Last edited by chuckkarate2; 01-09-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: mispelling and added car year.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by suburbanjunior

Thanks, John
Maintenance is required for the weatherstripping - silicone grease wiped on. Have you been doing the scheduled maintenance?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

Mine has a small tear by the sill where my foot has dragged across it over time. It's a double-sealed door, so I doubt anything is going to get in.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM

I have a tear too at the A-pillar on the driver's side. Is it really worth taking it in to get fixed/replaced under warranty?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM

Unhappy Weatherstripping

I finally decided to bring our HHR in to have the weatherstripping replaced that runs from the lower part of the windshield and runs all the way over the top of both doors on the drivers side and down the back door termiating just above the running board. There is also a separate piece of weatherstripping that runs underneath both doors, and at the end of this piece is a tab with a hole in it that sits under the long piece of weatherstripping that comes down to the running board, and the plastic pin that secures the original long piece being replaced, also slips through the bottom piece and secures both. The Chevy mechanic (tech) must have just grabbed the piece of weatherstripping up front where it starts, and just ripped the piece off not noticing that the lower piece was secured as well, and tore it off too. Then he decides to use a metal tool to take out the plastic tabs that hold the stripping in place and didn't put anything under the tool, and wound up denting and chipping the paint around the door frame. Talk about pride of workmanship. I should have went with my first instinct and paid 117.00 dollars for the piece and replaced it myself. I am very, very disappointed right now. I've owned 11 GM products over the last 40 plus years (stilll own a 1955) and have been able to maintain most of whats gone wrong with them myself. I brought this one back for minor repair only because it is still under warranty. I guess it could always be worse. Anyone else had a similar experience???? Thanks for listening. Regards, Chuck

Last edited by chuckkarate2; 01-19-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling and puncuation
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM

I replaced my passenger side weather stripping at the bottom of the door a year ago on my '07. It was under warranty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weatherstripping around driver door wearing out