Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/what-sheet-metal-these-hhrs-9298/)

Chief79 07-14-2007 02:52 PM

What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's?

I've only made 2 payments and i already have 2 dings in the side of my car. 1 was caused by my girlfriend and i seen the whole thing happen. She parked next to my car and opened her door. She bent over to get somthing out of her car and her door tapped my car ever so lightly. There was no thud or noise what so ever. If i didn't see it myself i would not have believed it. Her door hardly even touched mine and it still left a ding. Anyone else have any issues with the "Soft" metal on these cars ,or is it just me.

Wheelie7 07-14-2007 03:06 PM

Wheelie has 2 golfball sized dents on his driver's door, 1 was done by me accidently, I accidently hit Wheelie's door with a cement post, but no paint damage, just a small ding, there is another one above his door handle, That I dont know how it happened, I will fix both dents tomorrow and Wheelie will be good as new..=)

courthousedeb 07-14-2007 03:57 PM

I've had my HHR for 18 months and don't have so much as a parking lot or buggy ding in mine. I am very careful though where I park it and make sure it's not close to any other cars. Have to walk a ways longer to and from the store, but it's worth it to me.

I don't think the "soft" metal is just on the HHR...it's all the newer cars, unless you buy something top of the line.

auburnskydive 07-17-2007 08:16 AM

First ding on "Snooty" was when it was only 1 month old-parking lot ding. Next ding was on hood when a small dead limb fell on it. BTW, I wouldn't ever use a "magic eraser" to remove dead bugs from front. My well meaning gorilla of a man brother-in-law scratched the paint trying to remove one. Nothing that won't buff out, though (except for the dings).

Firewatcher 07-17-2007 08:18 AM

Mine was 4 months old when somebody creased the passenger door from the door handle all the way to the bottom of the panel. Almost 1000 bucks to replace and repair. :eek:

betterof2evils4 07-17-2007 08:28 AM

I've heard about the thin metal issue, but I didn't have the slightest clue as to how thin it was until I casually leaned on my car and the door caved in. Once I got off the door it came back out, but damn. I'm only 170 lbs and didn't even put my full weight on it. :eek:

HillsdaleHHR 07-17-2007 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4 (Post 171468)
I've heard about the thin metal issue, but I didn't have the slightest clue as to how thin it was until I casually leaned on my car and the door caved in. Once I got off the door it came back out, but damn. I'm only 170 lbs and didn't even put my full weight on it. :eek:

I noticed this too the other day when I was talking to someone in a parking lot. Note to self..........do not lean against car.

betterof2evils4 07-17-2007 08:44 AM

Yea... It's not so bad on the fenders. I stopped at a gas station once, and this crackhead popped my rear fender pretty hard with their door. Didn't even leave a mark. And I can lean and semi-sit on the front fenders, even though I don't do it often. But the doors are just a joke... How did the HHR rate in a side-impact crash test?

Wheelie7 07-17-2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher (Post 171460)
Mine was 4 months old when somebody creased the passenger door from the door handle all the way to the bottom of the panel. Almost 1000 bucks to replace and repair. :eek:

$1000????...YIKES!!...I have 2 small dents on Wheelie's door, driver's side, but I'll get them out tomorrow hopefully, If it doesn't rain!. It will cost me $200...ahhhh..the pleasures of owning an HHR...=)..LOL

captain howdy 07-17-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4 (Post 171487)
How did the HHR rate in a side-impact crash test?

5 star. Think of how massive and thick our B-Pillars are.