Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Whirring noise...bearing or tire or something else? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/whirring-noise-bearing-tire-something-else-28037/)

Goose 02-12-2010 01:37 PM

Whirring noise...bearing or tire or something else?

almost 78k on the clock....coming to work today noticed a whirring noise coming from the front end that starts at about 20 mph and goes away when slowing down under 20...not loud but can hear it...I did have new tires with a pretty aggressive tread put on about a week or so ago...(Conti DWS Extreme Contact) and not sure if those are contributing to the noise......how can I be sure what it is?

If bearing what am I looking at $$ wise to fix?

Goose

PS fwiw my steering does feel a little sloppier than usual after an alignment and new tires at the tire shop.....related?

Jim's 2009 02-12-2010 01:55 PM

Just went through the same thing. It was the front wheel bearings at 27,000 miles dealer replaced them under warranty. I never thought it was wheel bearing but asked on here and everybody said that is what it was, they were right.

txbass06 02-12-2010 02:16 PM

Try turning the wheel left to right while driving to see if the noise stops or differentiates any whatsoever. Usually if it were tire noise, it wouldn't stop after a certain speed. At least, mine only get louder as speed increases

ZTony8 02-12-2010 03:25 PM

If it turns out to be a hub and bearing that's noisy the GM part lists for $353.46 if you have ABS,$205.32 if you don't have it.

Goose 02-12-2010 04:00 PM

Yeah it is pretty loud now.....right around 60 mph it is the loudest.....the noise goes up and down with speed...almost like a droning noise...at 20 mph and below it cuts out...doesn't sound like it is coming from one side...sort of dead center but acoustics could mean it is coming from either side...youch I hope it isn't both at once......with that price it is probably over 500-600 installed for one side :roll:

I just got done bragging the other day on how great this car has been that I haven't had to sink a dime into it other than reg oil and filter changes in 75K miles....figures..that'll learn me

Goose

Goose 02-12-2010 04:03 PM

I just found the hub and bearing assembly for 113-112 bucks for Timken? And that is for the ABS too....what is the difference?

Goose

DreamHHR 02-12-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 442577)
I just found the hub and bearing assembly for 113-112 bucks for Timken? And that is for the ABS too....what is the difference?

Goose

Find out if it's covered by the warranty first; I think it is....

Yves

pitbull76 02-12-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR (Post 442579)
Find out if it's covered by the warranty first; I think it is....

Yves

+1 If the wheel hub is the problem, it's covered as part of the powertrain warranty.

hyperv6 02-12-2010 06:58 PM

Yep Warranty!

If you ever do have to replace one don't buy a no name cheap one. I have seen many fail. The good ones are not all that great to begin with anymore.

Goose 02-13-2010 09:16 AM

How would I know if it is just the bearing or the hub? Looks like it would be easier to replace the whole thing? If just the bearing wouldn't they have to press it out?

Goose