Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering Column Issue? (06 2lt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Steering Column Issue? (06 2lt)

Hey everyone,

Have read a lot, posted little.

I have extended warranty so I should still be safe, (I think the reg. factory warranty runs out end of January on this one) but need clarification if there is any TSB (sorry if posted elsewhere, Im sure it has long before)

I have a small shaking.ratting feel/sound every now and then when going over bumps or sometimes when I am breaking. I think I may have read on here before that it was a steering column issue? It feels like it is coming from the steering column, and more vaguely from the from driver side.

I brought it up back in the summer to the Parts/Service Dept. at the place of purchase and was told "Iunno" by some guy that seemed to just want to get me out of the line.

I want to make sure that I can have any issues resolved and am wanting to finally step down on this one that has been bugging me since I got the thing already way back in late Jan of 2007 but have been out and around and not had the time to stay around and commit to getting this car into the shop.

Thank you for any and all help!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

The extended warranty doesn't cover squeak and rattle, so you should take it in before the original warranty runs out.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
The extended warranty doesn't cover squeak and rattle, so you should take it in before the original warranty runs out.
There was no TSB ever for any steering column change?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Absolutely. I cannot remember the # but I know they have an issued TSB on this. PM Chevymgr on this, Brad will tell you true.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 AM
jx3

There is a TSB for the front end "clunk". It entails replacing the Intermediate Steering Shaft.

Been there done that.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 AM

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : 070235004
Date of Bulletin : SEP 01, 2007
NHTSA Item Number : 10023214
Component : STEERING:COLUMN
Summary :
STEERING COLUMN RATTLE OR KNOCKING NOISE AT LOW SPEEDS (DIAGNOSIS AND REPLACE STEERING COLUMN, IF NECESSARY) *NJ
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM

If it's the column, I would expect an extended warranty to cover it (read exclusions to be sure). If it's actually a dash rattle, I doubt it would be covered. My money's on a bad column though from my experience on my HHR.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Founding Member

Tsb #04-03-08-006c

This bulletin is too long to post on a thread. But here are 2 of the 7 possible noises. These seem to fit what you are experiencing.

If the following conditions are present, it's the steering intermediate shaft:

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition can also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Typically, the clunk noise will be heard once for every 90° of steering wheel rotation in either direction. This clunk noise may also be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

The following are characteristics of this noise:

• This noise is very random.

• This noise is independent of the steering wheel angle and independent of the bumpiness of the road.

• This noise is a low frequency dull one and can be felt in your feet.

• This noise can normally be heard from the driver seat.

• This noise can be felt upon touching the steering gear from outside of the vehicle.

Note that you might also notice a slight scrub-type noise when turning the wheel back and forth. This type of noise is considered normal and repairs will not eliminate it.

If the following conditions are present, it's the steering column:

Some customers may comment on a rattle or knocking noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle while driving at low speeds (5-15 mph [8-24 km/h]). This condition may be more noticeable while making a slow turn or on a loose/rough surface.

This condition can be duplicated by the technician using the following procedure:

On a rough or loose surface (i.e., gravel parking lot), make a sweeping turn (either direction) at 5-15 mph (8-24 km/h) to load the steering column, I-shaft and steering rack/gear mechanisms. (The testing on a rough or loose surface will allow the wheels to oscillate slightly and will make the rattle/knocking noise more evident and repeatable)
Release the steering wheel while making the turn to take load off of steering components. This should initiate the rattle/shudder noise which is generated by backlash in the steering assembly as it is in a no-load float condition.

Remove the 60 amp EPS fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block.
Test the vehicle as in Step 1. Since the EPS motor is no longer powered, only the I-shaft and steering gear/rack will be loaded as you make the turn. If you hear the rattle/knocking noise during the turn, then the noise is being generated by the backlash within the steering column (assist motor gear mechanism).
Replace the 60 amp EPS fuse and repeat Steps 1 and 2 to verify that the rattle/knocking noise disappears when turning (loading steering mechanism) and can only be heard when releasing the steering wheel.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PrairieHHR
There was no TSB ever for any steering column change?
There's a TSB that gives a description of the problem and a recommended repair to resolve it, but if the only resulting problem is a rattle, it doesn't actually have to be covered under the extended warranty. TSB's are NOT recalls.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 PM

We had both original struts screw the pooch because of the cold and had them replaced. It was a clunking sound that turned into someone smacking the floor with a sledge hammer every time we crossed railroad tracks. Our dealer wasn't at all surprised as he'd already replaced them on the other `06 LT's they'd sold. Turned out we were the last one to develop this problem and he was anticipating our call all along.