Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR used - historical repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 PM

HHR used - historical repairs

I recently purchased 2 HHR Panels: Nov: 2008 Panel LT, 2.2L Auto and , in Dec. 2008 Panel 2LT 2.4L 5sp.
The 2nd one was a sight unseen (photos only) internet purchase & transport.
I was looking though the info on the repairs: 2/20/13 - Camshaft Position Sensor, 3/12/13 - Rotors resurfaced, Rr Brk adj, 6/7/13 - Camshaft Position Sensor, 11/6/15 - 4 wheel alignment, 4/29/17 - Ignition SW and Ignition Lock Switch Cylinder replaced.

Cam Position Sensor: Is it a bit odd to have CP Sensor replaced twice in 4 months, were these problematic in the HHR, is this something I need to watch or take notice? I had read the chain tensioner was problematic, is that accurate?
Rotors resurfaced - Wow... Really or just shop babble? I used to be a GM Mst & ASE Mst back in the 80's and even back then we stopped "resurfacing" rotors on lighter weight cars due to new spec size and minimum thickness. Essentially, there wasn't any material that could be properly machined within specs. Even back in '80's, machining on larger rotors became slap shaft lazy creating more run-out problems than corrected.. they might correct parallelism but not lateral run-out if not dial matched. When teaching I used to refer to it as "turn" vs "machine" rotors... new method was a quick "turn rotors" til even... not aware of hardness temper thickness and run-out... caused more ft end vibrations than corrected pulse pedal.

Alignment: With lack of adjustments, OEM Toe only adjustment. Do many use eccentric bolts, try bolt nudging or shim or wedges. Is after-market suspension about the only way to gain adjustability? Does anyone check alignment much on these HHR's. If you change struts, springs, etc, do you check it if there isn't really an adjustment?

Ignition / Lock Switch - was this per the wide GM bulletin regarding Ignition Switch or something different? Was this really much of a problem on the HHR model?

On the subject of maintenance: What are a few of the major areas to watch on the Eco-Tech 2x series?
Cam chain, mainifold leaks, any exhaust bolt or head bolt a problematic, MAF, Tranny, etc?

So far, I've been impressed how the little Eco-T has performed, started in sub-zero weather, shifted, etc.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Regarding the ignition switch recall.
Where were you 5 years ago when GM had the massive "You could Die" recall. Several models affected and I think the recall total was several million vehicles.
That part of your cars record likely pertains to the ignition recall.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Technical Moderator

They replaced the CP sensors because they were idiots. The problem was cam position solenoids.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Those cam sensors could have been related to a stretched timing chain, like Don often points out they are a wind of wire in resin , no moving parts, just sensors, if they are working you get a CEL when something goes wrong with camshaft positioning, that being caused by a loose timing chain.

the alignment is a problem only when the front end rack guy, adjusts everything, then six months later , the LCA bushings are toast, that ads to the shake at 60 mph from the spongy upper engine mount.
to address that the rotors are replaced, the camber and or caster is adjusted.
Now if they had only replaced the LCA and adjusted the drum rear brakes. No alignment adjustments would have been required other then toe in!
Oldblue is at 462,000 klms , I have checked the alignment after changing tie rods, then when I replaced the steering rack and the intermediate steering shaft. I replaced the ball jounts installed Moog problem solver bushings in the LCA’s .
I still had the brake shake , RJ suggested checking the upper engine mount, yup, it was toast.
After replacement, no more brake shake, you know that wiggle in the steering wheel when you lift off the throttle at highway speeds, and apply the brakes when you see all those red brake lights a half mile ahead.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Regarding the ignition switch recall.
Where were you 5 years ago when GM had the massive "You could Die" recall. Several models affected and I think the recall total was several million vehicles.
That part of your cars record likely pertains to the ignition recall.
Thanks, as indicated I was inquiring if that was what this was related to... wasn't sure if this was one of the models. On the 5 yrs ago, been driving Mopars - Jeep for sometime now and when I read / heard about the GM Ignition I felt it was a little over dramatic.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
They replaced the CP sensors because they were idiots. The problem was cam position solenoids.
Don, are the solenoids a failure point or chain?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Depends on the code, but solenoids more often. Mechanics see the word "sensor" in a code description and replace the sensors, For some reason they think coils of wire go bad faster than mechanical things.

Did you get the link?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Those cam sensors could have been related to a stretched timing chain, like Don often points out they are a wind of wire in resin , no moving parts, just sensors, if they are working you get a CEL when something goes wrong with camshaft positioning, that being caused by a loose timing chain.

the alignment is a problem only when the front end rack guy, adjusts everything, then six months later , the LCA bushings are toast, that ads to the shake at 60 mph from the spongy upper engine mount.
to address that the rotors are replaced, the camber and or caster is adjusted.
Now if they had only replaced the LCA and adjusted the drum rear brakes. No alignment adjustments would have been required other then toe in!
Oldblue is at 462,000 klms , I have checked the alignment after changing tie rods, then when I replaced the steering rack and the intermediate steering shaft. I replaced the ball jounts installed Moog problem solver bushings in the LCA’s .
I still had the brake shake , RJ suggested checking the upper engine mount, yup, it was toast.
After replacement, no more brake shake, you know that wiggle in the steering wheel when you lift off the throttle at highway speeds, and apply the brakes when you see all those red brake lights a half mile ahead.
Oldblue, That's possible... all I have insight to is what's in the record. If LCA was bad, I think I'd hear or noticed it in steering or brakes too. But it does sound like the LCA was a common early failure component. Are the Moog pretty good units?

Currently I think the rear suspension need attention, it moves about when I hit bumps or rough section... slightly redirects car and just feels wrong. A rough bridge apron on slick Winter road is a little attention getting with rear movement... feel more like a frozen shock or uncontrolled travel. Ft end doesn't feel loose to me yet, steering or braking hard.

I'm assuming Rr & Ft shock / struts are over due and was planning to ck or replace LCA asmb too. Considering a spring replacement at same time for better performance and to slightly lower. Looking at a few suspension kits or possibly the SS springs. Any preferred setup opinions from the group?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Depends on the code, but solenoids more often. Mechanics see the word "sensor" in a code description and replace the sensors, For some reason they think coils of wire go bad faster than mechanical things.

Did you get the link?
Yes I did, haven't acted on it yet... but have it!
Appreciated! I'll send ya a PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Let’s not focus on traditional problems in other HHR’s , let’s focus on your HHR.
I chased vibrations for a few years , as I replaced parts it got better.
Not much back there other then shocks, rarely the axle pivot bushings go south.

Quick Reply: HHR used - historical repairs