Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Would it be called surging?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM

The service manager told me it was the throttle body. I took it off and cleaned it thoroughly. (Interesting to find a plastic intake manifold.) No difference. Back to the dealership tomorrow.

Tune in next time for another exciting episode of, As The HHR Turns.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JazzDad
So, I finally had time to get this to the dealer. (I have 38K miles, but purchased a service contract.) The service manager said it's a dirty throttle body. I will attempt to clean it this weekend (weather permitting.) It is a "maintenance issue", so is not covered under GM's service contract.
Neither are the badly scored rotors.
Nor the very rich (unburned fuel) exhaust smell.
By Federal law the vehicle must remain within emission specs for five years or 50,000 miles. If it's running rich, GM has to fix it. If it's running lean, you're on your own.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Well, the service manager was able to drive it around and duplicate the symptom. He said he could make it happen consistently. So, he went back to the shop to get the appropriate tech and then it wouldn't do it any more. I was told to take the car home and drive it until it gets much worse, or I can make it happen on demand. He thinks it is transmission related. He mentioned a solenoid.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JazzDad
I've read through a lot of threads here that talk about surging, but I don't know if I'm experiencing the same symptom. If I set the cruise at 30 or 31 MPH the tachometer jumps back and forth about 200 rpm; enough to feel it. Same thing when setting the cruise at 39 to 41 MPH. Now, to throw the monkey wrench into the diagnosis- this surging will sometime occur just when I am driving at these speeds, and occasionally at around 50 MPH. It happens on level, smooth road. It feels like the transmission is shifting back and forth between gears. After a few seconds of this 'surging' it settles down into a level speed and RPM. The problem started only recently, and I have not yet taken it to the dealer (under warranty). Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. Thanks in advance. Bret
If you figure this out let me know the out come my 08 with the 2.2 is doing the exact same thing dealer said its normal ( NOT) my theory tork converter going bad any thoughts let me know this is weird how exact your issue is to mine
Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM

The surging is not happening any more often now, but more severely. Some times it's almost whiplash inducing. I had to take care of the brakes (scoring of the rotors and drums due to the gravel roads I drive on), but I'll be talking to the service manager again soon.

I'll let you know what they say or do.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Don06
By Federal law the vehicle must remain within emission specs for five years or 50,000 miles. If it's running rich, GM has to fix it. If it's running lean, you're on your own.
That incorrect. The actual Federal Emissions Law states 2 year 24,000 mile. Major components are 8 years 80,000. Major components are the catalytic converter and the ECM/ECU.

For anyone that doubts this, here is a reference.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
That incorrect. The actual Federal Emissions Law states 2 year 24,000 mile. Major components are 8 years 80,000. Major components are the catalytic converter and the ECM/ECU.

For anyone that doubts this, here is a reference.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Why would anyone need to read the accurate info when some guy on the web can tell me?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

JazzDad,
Im having the same problem with surging between 40-45 mph. It comes and goes.
Cleaning the trottlebody (back and front side) did not help.

No engine codes either.

Hope we get an answer...........

Cheers!

Last edited by Pretzel; 03-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Might note if anyone has a automatic the converter will unlock around 45-50 mph if you let of the gas. It will give a lurch or surge. I have one hill I coast down to a light every AM and it will give this surge.

I do not get it under gas. But it is a normal thing on a auto. I am not saying that is what everyone has but it does feel like something is not right at times when you don't expect it.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 AM

hyperv6,

If I hold a constant speed of 45 mph on a level road, the engine RPM will jump up from the norm to 2000 then will surge between 1700 and 2000 rpm 5-6 times.
It really feels strainge.

same..like this post.
http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/re...25&i=169&t=169

I managed to capture it on video via my iPhone.

Cheer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would it be called surging?