Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

148 mph at Loring

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by walkowg
keep us up date on your OHIO run i plan on going and watching if i dont work

X2. This sounds awesome. I never knew there was land speed racing in OH! We wouldn't be ready this year but maybe for next. I'll definitely try and come with the wife and kids. Work is crazy right now, 7 days/week 11hrs/day! Madness
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
I don't blame you for not touching the tune. You are correct with regards to lambda, everything is based on 1, 1 is stoich for any fuel.

Look here for more information. How to run your LS1 on E85

Talk to ZZP about using E85, would be less money you would be further ahead than racing fuels. Just a thought......

Also, a methanol spray would help cool the intake charge but you would need spray ahead of the IAT to have the ECM compensate. Not trying to confuse, just trying to provide beneficial information... There are a number of different ways to solve an issue, you need to find what will work for you.

When they were doing the tune this winter, they actually asked me if I wanted them to tune it for E85. And I, like a dumbass, said no, just tune it for 93... So, of course, now I'd like to tune it for E85, which would probably mean new injectors but which I know would make it run a lot cooler. And in fact, I've been running VP's C10 (which is around 96 octane) instead of pump 93 anyway, and it's been fine. So I'll probably end up doing the E85.

And, per you and celblazer, I also thought about doing an IC sprayer, and in fact I actually bought some parts to try to make my own (I know there are kits, but my cheap gene sometimes acts up...). But in the end, I basically just ran out of time. But yeah, that's also a definite possibility...

Gary
Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
X2. This sounds awesome. I never knew there was land speed racing in OH! We wouldn't be ready this year but maybe for next. I'll definitely try and come with the wife and kids. Work is crazy right now, 7 days/week 11hrs/day! Madness
It's a lot of fun, and the land-speed community is the best. It's really one of the last truly grassroots racing scenes around, and the variety of cars is completely crazy and cool--everything from 250 mph bikes and cars (Brad Keselowski's dad runs one of Brad's old NASCAR cars) to Nissan Leafs. Just bring your daily-driver HHR and run the mile--that's what I did two years ago, and look where it got me!

Gary
Old 08-05-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Since our naughty word filter will cut out the word I'd like to use, and no I'm not going to disable it just because I want to say "Man alive Buddy, that's haulin ***!"

So how about...

Man alive Buddy, that's transporting Donkeys!!
LOL...thanks, man. Honestly, the car gets a lot of attention, usually along the lines of, "Wow...that's sure an interesting choice for a land-speed car..." But that's why I love it!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:16 PM

Wait we can drive the mile too?! I'll have to find the link you posted so I can check the rules.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Wait we can drive the mile too?! I'll have to find the link you posted so I can check the rules.
You can drive up to 135 mph with nothing more than a full-face helmet and half-inch lug nuts. Above 135, there are stricter and stricter cage and suit requirements, depending on how fast you want to go. I basically had this thing built for Bonneville, so I can pretty much tech anywhere with it...

Here's the ECTA's site:

http://www.ecta-lsr.com

Gary
Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks Gary! I'm looking into it. 135 is more than enough. I have been talking with ZZP and several others. I'm very interested in running E85.

Seems we're limited by the di pump. In order to address this ZZP has an intake cam with a larger fuel lobe. I'm looking at this as well as the opel injector setup. They also recommend changing the in tank pump to an E85 safe version.

It is also my understanding there are no flex fuel tables in our ecm. So once tuned for it you've got to run E85 unless you change your tune back.

I was thinking of building another cobalt/hhr around the rebuilt gen 2 motor. Now I'm thinking tube chassis mid engine, just for fun of course!!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Seems we're limited by the di pump. In order to address this ZZP has an intake cam with a larger fuel lobe.
In my case, I'm actually running the original LE5 head (from the stock 2.4 block) on a 2.0 LDK block, so I'm still port-injected rather than direct...
Old 08-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I've often wondered if the 2.4 head fits on the 2.0 block, or the 2.2 head on either the 2.4 or 2.0, so no VVT.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM

Well that's pretty cool! Do you have the forged internal goodies? I'm going to need them in the future if I push over 400hp.

Last edited by Dbeluscak; 08-06-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Can never get the text size right! Ever!

Quick Reply: 148 mph at Loring