Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

148 mph at Loring

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM

148 mph at Loring

Hey, folks:

Just thought I'd share a video of my latest land-speed escapades in the HHR. This was my first pass at Loring AFB in Limestone, ME, last weekend, and as it turns out, it was also my best (and that's with the missed shift at the beginning of the run, which I'm sure you'll notice). I ended up going 148 in the 1.5 mile (143 in the mile), and then had some backfiring and power loss in subsequent runs. If you remember what the car looks like, the intercooler is completely blocked off by the enclosed front bumper cover, and I think that's a big part of the problem, so I'll be cutting a nice big window in there for more breathability at Ohio in September. Anyway, enjoy!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Nice run thanks for sharing, looks very stable @ 148. What were the wind conditions?

Are you monitoring anything during a run? I.E. Data logger for engine information like HPTuners VCM Scanner. That would provide info as to the backfiring and power loss.

I also have an aeroforce but things then to get very busy when you are covering a lot of ground in a hurry.

Sorry, full of questions.......
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Cool running !
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Hey, Dennis...wind was pretty calm that day. Then we had a big tail wind the following day and I went slower... :-) I logged every run on the VCM scanner, but I'm pretty much a newbie with HP Tuners, so I may have the guys at ZZP take a look at them--I didn't even have the command AFR monitored on the first three runs, and when I tried to add that PID to the table display for the last two runs, it didn't work. So...baby steps. The one thing I did notice was that my intake air temps were in the red on every run, and that's what leads me to think that I need to fab a direct air opening in the bumper cover for the IC--the indirect air that's getting in there isn't doing the job. As far as stability goes, the front end was definitely hunting a bit, but overall it was a pretty smooth ride...
Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 PM

keep us up date on your OHIO run i plan on going and watching if i dont work
Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Gary,
You said your IAT's were in the red.... what were the temps? Did you measure before and after the intercooler, IAT 1 IAT 2?

If your going to be a lot of runs like that consider a water to air intercooler and you won't have to put the hole in the bumper. You'll have to carry the added weight of the water and required tubing/line to and from the intercooler but you won't have to open up the nose which could make it feel light in the nose. The trade off in some cases is worth it in the long run. Your runs aren't that long and your motor will like it much better

If you have the scans if you send me a copy along with the config file you were using I may be able to help you add the commanded versus logged. If you are looking at AFR, use lambda and make your life easier.. PM me if you like.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Walkowg, I'll definitely keep you posted on Ohio (I'm always scrounging around for people to belt me in, anyway )...

Dennis, thanks very much for your offer--I may try to send you some of the logs. I get the basic concept of lambda being the way to go when tuning your AFR (everything's based on 1, correct?), but again, I'm kind of flying blind at this point, which probably isn't the best thing to do with a performance car. In any case, I'm not touching the tune (Matt at ZZP did it), and I'm trying to stay as conservative as possible. I'm totally open to a water-to-air IC (weight's not really a big factor in land-speed racing), but I may not be able to act on that before the Ohio race, and I'm probably going to be replacing that front bumper anyway when I get the car painted (it's currently dipped)...

Gary
Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM

I don't blame you for not touching the tune. You are correct with regards to lambda, everything is based on 1, 1 is stoich for any fuel.

Look here for more information. How to run your LS1 on E85

Talk to ZZP about using E85, would be less money you would be further ahead than racing fuels. Just a thought......

Also, a methanol spray would help cool the intake charge but you would need spray ahead of the IAT to have the ECM compensate. Not trying to confuse, just trying to provide beneficial information... There are a number of different ways to solve an issue, you need to find what will work for you.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM

Would a CO2 bar sprayer on the intercooler help? Not much weight added and should keep the cooler nice and frosty.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Deceased

Since our naughty word filter will cut out the word I'd like to use, and no I'm not going to disable it just because I want to say "Man alive Buddy, that's haulin ***!"

So how about...

Man alive Buddy, that's transporting Donkeys!!

And the naughty word filter is the reason that changing the coolant on an HHR requires opening the "Drain Chicken" on the radiator, ain't we a hot mess at times?

Quick Reply: 148 mph at Loring