Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

2.4 goes crazy at track.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM

2.4 goes crazy at track.

So, i headed out to my local raceway with a few co-worker buddies, and they thought i should let the hhr out on the track. At first, i was kinda hesitant cause it is just an hhr, but i was kinda surprised what she did. 16.8@81, nothing to terrible, but i couldnt get her fat ass off the line for anything, best 60ft i got was 2.5, oh btw, only thing performance related i had was the gmpp exhaust, what do yall think, slow or no for what it is ?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 AM

auto or 5spd? also you do any EASY weight tricks for exmpl take out spare n jack EVERYTHING you dont need have about a 1/4 of a tank to get there and back n race, lets see what else i used to take out seats dont know how easy our's are but that helps if you can get the back ones n front i mean our cars at like what 3100 if we can drop 200-300 we should be doing allright
Old 08-26-2006, 12:14 PM

Back Seats come out pretty easy. 4 Bolts on the front side and 4 I believe maybe 3 on the back. The back seats weight a good 80ish Lbs I believe. Mine as of right now are awaiting trash pick-up.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:18 PM

Works for me...but then again...I've never raced my HHR. Unless of course you count me blowing the doors off a PT on Federal Blvd.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:59 PM

My guess would be that the GMPP exhaust is hurting you off the line. The HHR likes to see more back pressure than most "performance" mufflers provide; without it there is no low-end power and she falls on her face off idle until about 3-4000rpm under load. If you have the ability, I'd swap back to the stock "turtle' muffler and redo your runs.

You just might be surprised...(and the IMCO 924 is still your best bet).
Old 08-26-2006, 03:09 PM

I dont think the gmpp is hurting me, its a 2 1/4 in exhaust so it aint that bad for back pressure. But on the run i did, i had about a 1/4 of gas left, lots of extra clothes and msc. stuff laying in the car as well as the system was in there. If there scale was right, the H weighed in at around 3250 ish. Anywho, i went back and looked at some of stuff on my slip, it turns out i almost cut a 2.460ft, my actual time was 2.502, i think i was expecting to much and just glanced at the 16.8 and 2.5 60 ft, so i didnt give it a whole lot of attention and just thought it was bad, but looked again, and thats actually not to bad for what it is. Im thinking next of getting some sort of intake, prolly k&n's new cold air intake system, and prolly a 35/50 shot of spray and see what she does them...

Oh, btw...im runnin' the 2.4 with the auto and the 17's.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:34 PM

If that was your first run in a 2.4 then my 16.9 in a 2.2 must be good. I would stick with your GMPP exhast. Even though the engines likes to see back pressure it depends on what kind of power you want to make. More back pressure is more power in mid-low range. More flow and less BP is higher range. I have tried 4 different mufflers now and have found a happy medium for me (not including stock). I tried a straight through Fart-Can style and LOST all bottom end. Tried a 3 chamber turbo 2 and gained all the bottom back but didn't like the sound. Found a IMCO like Mike sells and gained a little more that the Turbo 2 but still didnt like the sound. I now have a Flowmaster 40 series and havent lost anything mid range but gained a little on the top end. These aren't just seat of the pants dyno's either. A friend here has a turbo Civic and has helped me by racing me side-side on the frontage road just by my house. All I have is a 2.2 and from his stand point (an avid drag racer at our local track) he says with the CAI and Flowmaster this car is doing a LOT better than a 16.9 now. Just have to wait for our next Test-n-Tune! Not bashing on Mike's choice of mufflers or his dyno experience. Just what has worked for me! That is all.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Well, i live down in houston,tx now, so it was pretty hot, and pretty humid. Also i should add this is my first time in the hhr at the track, although ive raced many other times with different cars. I pretty much got there, and teched in and raced before it got to crowded. First run, i didnt know what to do as far as launch wise, so i stuck her in L and let her go, and manually shifted, and i saw a 17.1@80, then i thought its got enough in it to get a 16 run, so i tried again, but this time i just left it in D and hoped for the best, and that when i got the 16.8 run, also my tires where filled 34psi, and then thats when i said thats enough, no point in trying anymore since im basically stock. So i figure thats a decent enough time, enough to keep up with 2.2 sticks anywho...
Old 08-27-2006, 08:42 PM

can you show pics of those bolts on the back seats?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChiTownHHR
Back Seats come out pretty easy. 4 Bolts on the front side and 4 I believe maybe 3 on the back. The back seats weight a good 80ish Lbs I believe. Mine as of right now are awaiting trash pick-up.

Quick Reply: 2.4 goes crazy at track.