Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Fastest / Quickest HHR top 10 list for Current Active members.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Gary, making good power now. Are you still using the air to air intercooler?

Good luck and be careful
Old 03-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Gary, making good power now. Are you still using the air to air intercooler?

Good luck and be careful
Hey, Dennis, thanks...I mentioned making the switch to water-to-air, but I didn't really push it with them, either--probably (as usual) because the bill for the other stuff (forged internals, new turbo, new fuel system) was making me weep a little (and not for joy... ). We'll see how the temps hold up in April--I've got a lot of air hitting the intercooler now (via openings in the bumper cover), and the ethanol should run a lot cooler anyway. But I'll definitely post the results--should be interesting...
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM

I can certainly understand the cost thing. I would just be concerned getting air under the frontend creating lift... not good at that speed. Unless you have some means of relieving the air pressure under the hood.

You can always do it yourself.at some other date.

Here is a link to look at , Water To Air
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 AM

I can certainly understand the cost thing. I would just be concerned getting air under the frontend creating lift... not good at that speed. Unless you have some means of relieving the air pressure under the hood.
Dennis, here's a before and after shot of the front bumper cover. I ran it the old way through the July event in Maine (went 148 with some backfiring in the 1.5 mile), then used a hole saw to cut two-inch holes in the cover to get more air to the intercooler, and went 153 with little or no backfiring in the mile. (The smaller holes that you see just under the grille were always there, and there's a fairly large opening under that aluminum grille cover, too.)

Not sure if these openings will relieve under-hood pressure, but they definitely seem to get more air to the IC. I'm also going to brace the bumper cover behind those holes--as you can see, it started to cave a bit after the 153 run...

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Fastest / Quickest HHR top 10 list for Current Active members.-hhrfrontendold2.jpg   Fastest / Quickest HHR top 10 list for Current Active members.-hhrfrontendnew.jpeg  
Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 AM

I understand where creating air flow over the intercooler would be beneficial considering the boost levels your at. Compressing air also heats it and can cause a number of other issues as you have found out. With our boat engines we used water to air heat exchangers to cool the air when boosting. A luxury you don't have with a air to air intercooler.

Are you still using the seal at the back of the hood? If so removing the seal and opening up that area at the cowl should help relieve any under hood air pressure. I would also block off where the HVAC inlet to the fan to make sure air and fumes aren't getting into the passenger compartment at that point.

You're using HPT to log your runs, right? If so are you using the pro version with the additional analog inputs? If you wanted you could get a sensor that you could log for air pressure under the hood. I believe opening up the area at the cowl will help. Just curious if you were logging what kind of air temps were you seeing AIT2 before and after your changes?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Are you still using the seal at the back of the hood? If so removing the seal and opening up that area at the cowl should help relieve any under hood air pressure.
Isn't the back of the hood at the base of the windshield a high pressure area?
Why are cowl induction intakes made?
I would rather see vents on the sides of the fenders ducted into the engine bay or at least lovers in the hood.
Air flow onto the intercooler could be possibly made better by using a NACA duct:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct
Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I've had the flex problems and solved it by using a Greenlea hole punch instead of just a hole saw, it bells the edge for strength some tool rental places rent them

1/2-2 MS SPEED PUNCH KIT - Greenlee - Made for the Trade? 783310022572
Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 AM

It can be a high pressure area. My suggestion was to let any air pressure in the engine compartment out somewhere, not capture it and make it a high pressure area that tends to make the front-end light at high speed
Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
Cool...
What happens in 3 months ?
Time to step your game up. Hit 5 back to back 1.8 60'. Best was 1.8050. See, the 5speed can do it too

Name:  IMG_20160514_040801039_zpsisnehz7y.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  104.1 KB
Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
Time to step your game up. Hit 5 back to back 1.8 60'. Best was 1.8050. See, the 5speed can do it too

WoW
That's the best half track MPH....
Your low 12s high 11s right now as your KO4r will really breath top end.
I'm guessing 117 MPH + in the quarter.
Time to find a 1/4 mile track...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fastest / Quickest HHR top 10 list for Current Active members.