Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Manual VS Auto 1/4 Mile racing facts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Manual VS Auto 1/4 Mile racing facts

It's not hard to see why the manual guys are having a hard time hooking up and having not so stellar 60' times.
A totally stock manual SS, only has a slight H.P. advantage over a stock auto SS, so the manual, should be quicker, if driven properly.
A manual and a auto SS, both tuned to roughly the same H.P., torque, the auto will have a definate advantage, both in putting the power down better, and consistancy in 1-2 shift.
A clutch operated, manually shifted car, has a tendency to shock the drivetrain much harder at the hit, and loses traction easier than a convertor auto trans. The auto will put the power down smoother,hook harder, and the computer controled 1-2 shift, will be consistant every time. Hard for a guy, no matter how good he is to hit his 1-2, or even 3-4 shift, every time , at the proper rpm. If you don't get it right every time, you'll get beat like a drum, more often than not. Long time drag racers in the know, will verfy this fact.
Looks like the Auto SS on this site, has thrown down the gaultlet, on this debate, so let the games begin.
Manual guys will have to throw a lot of coin, and maybe suffer lots of broken parts, to win this one. Being older and wiser, and been there, done that, glad I don't have a dog in this race. My deal is plenty quick enough as it stands, on not so much coin. "Moon"
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Yup auto does have the advantage on the launch there nothing new to that. Don't forget street tires are not the best for drag racing.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

I definitly agree about the auto SS getting a bad rap. any magazine or review of the car says "you could opt for the auto version, but its not as exciting or even the same car" or something to that extent. Its annoying.

The other thing that bugs me is the reviews for either SS. you will find these magazines or websites that are so fast to bash the HHR but then talk about how exciting the "skyactive" Mazda CX-5 is. that crossover has nearly 100 less HP/TQ. I think some of the critics are just 100% against any american car. they love their tourque-less honda civic si's though

I have only one opinion on the auto vs standard debate.....ask all the fast "old muscle" guys which tranny they are running to have a 10 second car....
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM

I want to take a video of it. I love how the boost just stays locked in place through all the gears. It seems like not dropping any boost on shifts would be a good thing.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 PM

I don't care what car you drive, an auto tuned with the same horsepower will win. An auto just goes and the manual requires that split second extra to shift. But I do like the fun factor of a stick than an auto.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM

I agree about the magazine guys. They are very biased on their opinions, and you have to take what they think and say, with a grain of salt. They rarely get it right, but then hardly does a weatherman either. "Moon"
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Well I know a couple of 6speeds in the 10s and 9s.
I not arguing about autos having a better advantage in drag racing. By all means auto always will be dead on. I'll have to admit stick so much more fun to drive.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM

'Wrong-wheel-drive' ,at the drag strip, sucks with MT, or auto.
Street tires, or street drag radials won't cut it.
Too much front end 'lift' , at launch.

Maybe 'chaining' the front end down, might work, but who wants to do that.

Unless you go with slicks, it's really frustrating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pghrace...3986/lightbox/
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM

I wanted the five speed, wife refused to learn how to drive one... Looking back, I should have gotten the five speed because in four years I can count on one hand how many times she has driven it. Oh and I wanted the panel, but with a baby she refused to let me add the back seats. And to think this is the same woman who one days dreams of owning a hemi cuda.. Not on my salary.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM

I have grown up with a family involved in drag racing. Granted I don't run mine as there is nothing to run the SS is an awesome ride no matter what. The pure fact that these four bangers are capable of high 12 second passes and faster than that is amazing. That's equal to the new mustangs and camaros with big. V-8s. I was out at test and tune last Sunday. No hhr's bus one cobalt SS. He spun tire through second gear and could only run 13.90s

Quick Reply: Manual VS Auto 1/4 Mile racing facts