Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

SS Autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 AM

SS Autocrossing

I'm considering autocrossing the SS in a few weeks here, but I had a few questions, and I'm hoping those who have done it before might be able to chime in.

I was reading the rules on the SCCA website, and I could not find which class a stock SS would compete in. The only mention I could find of an HHR SS was in the DSP (D Street Prepared) class. Since my car is totally stock, I don't see any sense in competing in a Street Prepared class, so does anyone know which class they have run a stock SS in before? Not that it will matter that much, because at this point, I think driver skill is going to be the biggest obstacle to me being competitive.

Also, has anyone had any issues with dealers giving you a hard time on warranty issues due to the evidence of "excessive" wear and tear on the tires? I never cared that much about the tires when I autocrossed my Camaro because it was well out of warranty, but I don't want any problems if I have to bring the car in later for warranty work.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 AM

See here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ight=autocross
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 AM

I believe it would be G Stock.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
I read that thread, but my impression was that that thread was about non-SS HHRs. I figured the SS might be in a different class...

Originally Posted by ZTony8
I believe it would be G Stock.
Thanks. How do you know? I ask because I've only autocrossed a few times, so I'm still in the learning phase.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Check out the "one lap" site...maybe they class it the same?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/turbo-hhrs-action-17369/

Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM

My car falls into the bottom class(H Stock) here in the Detroit area.We run the SCCA car classes but slightly different rules.So the more powerful SS is in a higher class.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Auto X

The do some autocrossing near me at the Ag center in Fletcher, NC. They had a big turnout of competitiors. Seems like everybody wants to drive their car fast- legally! Here are some pics from an event a few years back:
Course:

You'll need a few of these:

I parked next to this 'regular' competitor:

I got to ride with him during one run. The power was intense.
Here is the Cobra later in the evening:

There was a crowd around the Cobra all day! My truck provided a seat for some!
The only problem I saw with the course they laid out was a dip in the concrete about 1/2 way into the run. I saw more than one vehicle bury his front end into the dip & scrape off their spoiler, etc.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by EVSS
... The only mention I could find of an HHR SS was in the DSP (D Street Prepared) class. Since my car is totally stock, I don't see any sense in competing in a Street Prepared class...
yep. You would be in DSP. http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...nufacturer.pdf

it doesn't matter that your car is "stock". You'll see that DSP contains other 4 cyl turbo stock cars too. Anyways, if you're a newbie, you can run any class you want...but someone (there always is someone) will let you know which class is appropo for you. And of course, someone could "protest" also. But that's the rules...Just run DSP and have fun with the car.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by landho
yep. You would be in DSP. http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...nufacturer.pdf

it doesn't matter that your car is "stock". You'll see that DSP contains other 4 cyl turbo stock cars too. Anyways, if you're a newbie, you can run any class you want...but someone (there always is someone) will let you know which class is appropo for you. And of course, someone could "protest" also. But that's the rules...Just run DSP and have fun with the car.
Cool, thanks for the info. Like I said, I doubt I will be too competitive in ANY class at this point, but I need to get seat time if I'm going to get any better....
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM

Since your car is unmodified,you won't be in DSP unless you elect to run there.I believe that your car would otherwise run in G Stock unless by now they've reclassified it into C Stock.And unmodified in SCCA means you can't even change the valve stem caps or the radio knobs or the horn without being bumped-which is one of the reasons why we don't run SCCA rules in the Detroit Council series.

Quick Reply: SS Autocrossing