Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   South Central (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-central-32/)
-   -   What's with the "Sweet" tea cult(ure): (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-central-32/whats-sweet-tea-cult-ure-17782/)

mixman 08-25-2008 11:46 AM

What's with the "Sweet" tea cult(ure):

I just got back from my trip to Fort Worth, Shreveport, Jackson, and Grenada, and I besides the odd driving style, I noticed a peculiar common thread: Sweet Tea.

I tried it in each town and it all tastes the same to me. Which makes me wonder if it's the plant or is it the recipe? And why has it permiated the region? Perhaps you can help me understand by giving me some insights and/or answering my questions:

Why do some of y'all hawk it as though it's the best thing since oxygen?

Does it serve some sort of medicinal porpose?

Isn't it just Lipton's black with sugar, or is it bred/grown to taste like it?

Why is it so difficult to find a cup of hot tea?

Thanks

jx3 08-25-2008 11:50 AM

It's summed up best in the movie Steele Magnolias.........

"Sweet-tea is the house wine of the South"!:thumb:

JimZ_HHR 08-25-2008 11:55 AM

Southeners have been drinking sweet tea from the begining of existance, I cant stand this non-sweetened tea out here in California....

ohhhh and what is this crap with sweet cornbread, these people got it all backwards

saltyfishguy 08-25-2008 11:58 AM

just after brewing or sitting in the sun while its still warm we just mix sugar, but we also make it without for a nice wedge of fresh lemon from the back yard

steelwoolghandi 08-25-2008 12:12 PM

When brewing the Tea you add the suger or even better Honey. Sweet Tea is a Southern thing like "pop" is a northern thing. 99% of the time if they offer Sweet tea they will offer it unsweetend.

Ummm sweet cornbread...........

SICKS.OH 08-25-2008 01:41 PM

what ticks me off (and im not sure when it happend) you have to say "sweet tea"

you used to be able to just say "Tea" :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

GDZHHR 08-25-2008 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jx3 (Post 305403)
It's summed up best in the movie Steele Magnolias.........

"Sweet-tea is the house wine of the South"!:thumb:

And it's migrating north! There are many places in St. Louis that sell it now, but at least they ask.

First trip down to the far south, I was at a Waffle House and ordered an iced tea. Not knowing it was sweetened, I added sugar...............WOW:eek:!!! Never made that mistake again.

steelwoolghandi 08-25-2008 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by SICKS.OH (Post 305450)
what ticks me off (and im not sure when it happend) you have to say "sweet tea"

you used to be able to just say "Tea" :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

Yah its changed, you the server used to ask "Sweet or unsweet"? now they expect you to ask!

mixman 08-25-2008 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR (Post 305462)
I was at a Waffle House and ordered an iced tea. Not knowing it was sweetened, I added sugar...............WOW:eek:!!!

I made the same mistake after ordering a hot Earl Grey at the Starbucks off of the I20 in Shreveport. They were so clueless they gave me green tea on ice, then introduced me to sweet tea after I sent it back.

Those Dixie Chicks must have been thinking of my fav when they sang goodbye to Earl.

afs9 08-25-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mixman (Post 305526)
I made the same mistake after ordering a hot Earl Grey at the Starbucks off of the I20 in Shreveport. They were so clueless they gave me green tea on ice, then introduced me to sweet tea after I sent it back.

You're first mistake was going too Starbucks! :lol:

Seriously--I'd like to try this sweet tea! Any ya'll have a recipe on how to make it? Kind of sounds like a sun tea, then sweetened--A LOT--over ice? yes?

@ngelita