South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Prepping Herman for eventual sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Prepping Herman for eventual sale

My 2006 2LT has been a great little car, but I'm a big guy, and getting a little stiffer with age, so I'm gonna have to find something with a more upright seating position, and with enough windshield that I don't have to bend my neck over to see the traffic lights.
At 176k miles, he's still a scrapper and hits the road solid (to borrow a phrase I'd heard recently), though I think I'll do a few things to sweeten him up a bit for a prospective buyer.
I'm not putting this in the marketplace forum yet, as I'll need to wait until this Summer to sell, just wondering what buyers in this area will notice most about a potential used HHR purchase (Alabama).
Everything works, recent tires, regular maintenance, and I plan to do a deep clean of the inside and outside (wash, clay, wax) as well as installation of a new windshield (this one looks like a rand mcnally map) and new front brakes (ACDelco rotors and pads).
Figure that'd be enough? I think it's more than most people will put into a $4000 car, but I think this little guy will shine up nice. I'll post it for sale on this forum before he hits craigslist, as I think a forum member would be more likely to appreciate my little car's Hermanity.
Attached Thumbnails Prepping Herman for eventual sale-imgp1273.jpg  
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Nice looking 06 Good luck with the sale this summer. . .!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 AM

I'm probably not going to try real hard to sell Herman. I've replaced the brake pedal pad, and have the brake parts (rotors and pads) for the front waiting for me to get off my lazy posterior.
Last week, I picked up an '04 Z71 Suburban. While I can get better mpg out of it than some, it's still a bit thirsty compared to li'l Herman. So, on days when my neck isn't so stiff, I'll still be driving the HHR to work, unless someone offers enough cash.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM

There are solutions to the traffic light dilemma. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...t-sight-53055/
Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Hmm... I'll have to look into that.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Administrator

I just sold my Guide traffic light viewer. I switched to a light in sight, cause , Sweetie didn't like the Guide
Attached Thumbnails Prepping Herman for eventual sale-iphone-pictures-104.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:36 PM

Ok... I may have to just make some adjustments. While I do have a larger truck, Herman gets much better fuel economy, so I may just go with a traffic light viewer... and possibly look into some LS seats, which might give me a bit more headroom than the current all-power ones.

Looking around at the cars for sale, doing a bit of price research, it looks like the HHR isn't currently a car a lot of people are wanting to dump on the market. Some of the really basic LS cars are advertised at quite a bit more than I was considering for a selling price.
I knew this relatively short-lived model could end up being desirable one day, as it's not shaped like every other little box or jelly bean on wheels out there, but I was surprised at what I'm seeing right now.

It might be foolish to sell this little car right away, so I think I'll hang on to him for a bit, work on the few things that need fixing, and see what the future holds.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM

For the best

Spacer, I think that's a great decision. You now have a big vehicle when you need it. If you can get comfortable in the seats, I think you'll not regret keeping it.