South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Moving to GA

Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Moving to GA

Looks my job is going to relocate me to Forrest Park GA. Right now they are working out at Ft Gillem. But that is planned to move again, just don't know when/where. So for now, just looking to see if anyone has any info on the area. Also need info on schools (K-12). I'm willing to travel to/from work, but don't want extremely long commutes.

Anyone?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 AM

Take a look at Peachtree City. Good schools, decent taxes, about 80 miles of golf carts. Most people have golf carts even if they don't play golf.
They use them to go to the grocery store, to the lake, etc. Kids drive them to school!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 AM

Hey Solman...check with Frank aka HolmesHotRide...he lives in Monroe, GA which is about an hour away. I'm sure with his profession, he's got a ton of connections too.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dave W
Take a look at Peachtree City. Good schools, decent taxes, about 80 miles of golf carts. Most people have golf carts even if they don't play golf.
They use them to go to the grocery store, to the lake, etc. Kids drive them to school!
I've heard a few mention Peachtree City. So I've been looking there and also Cowatta(?) county in the Newnan area. Found a real nice new neighborhood in FOrrest Park, but everyone said to avoid .

The further away, the higher the prices get. I always though it was the further away, it got cheaper (city's that is).
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM

I work on the South Side of Atl, not far from Forest Park.

I live on the Northside, and have put 60,000 miles on my HHR in less than 2 years, hummm…………another story!!

I do work with a lot of people who live in the communities, you may look into.

Some highlights & general thoughts from them:

Forest Park, and close to the perimeter of Atl (285), is pretty rough, and most commute in to work in this area, from south of ATL communities.
Prices inside the perimeter, will be much HIGHER, and schools, very, very, iffy.

Peachtree City – Very nice community, which also makes prices much higher!

Stay away from FULTON COUNTY, school wise, not good.

Cowetta County, schools, much better & desirable, particularly North Cowetta County.
South Cowetta County, has a rough High School.

Fayette County, is also descent with schools & communities, Fayetteville, is an option.
Not far from Peachtree City.

Atlanta has experienced, unbelievable growth, and housing prices are sometimes crazy.
There is a lot of growth, moving South of Atl, with the North, pretty much saturated.
There should be descent deals, out in Cowetta or Fayette County as you continue to look.

Good Luck with the new opportunity and keep your eyes out for a Lowered Sandstone HHR running around Atl, that would be me!

LAter,
Mark
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I'm willing to travel to/from work, but don't want extremely long commutes.

Anyone?
I would echo Markiemark, but I must tell you that Ft. Gillem is not the easiest place to travel to. No matter where you locate you will be faced with long commute times, not necessarily distance wise, but time wise. Getting around this area is just impossible. Between the lack of roads and the quality of the drivers, driving can be more work than a job.

Finding accommodations should be fairly easy because we are in the top three areas for foreclosures, plus there is a glut of new housing. Just take your time and don't jump at the first "good deal" you find.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 11-01-2007, 12:36 AM

Looks my job is going to relocate me to Forrest Park GA. Right now they are working out at Ft Gillem. But that is planned to move again, just don't know when/where. So for now, just looking to see if anyone has any info on the area. Also need info on schools (K-12). I'm willing to travel to/from work, but don't want extremely long commutes.

Anyone?

so you'll move to warmer temperature and away from snow
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dan's HHR
so you'll move to warmer temperature and away from snow
Snow? In Southern South Carolina?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Markiemark
I work on the South Side of Atl, not far from Forest Park.

I live on the Northside, and have put 60,000 miles on my HHR in less than 2 years, hummm…………another story!!

I do work with a lot of people who live in the communities, you may look into.

Some highlights & general thoughts from them:

Forest Park, and close to the perimeter of Atl (285), is pretty rough, and most commute in to work in this area, from south of ATL communities.
Prices inside the perimeter, will be much HIGHER, and schools, very, very, iffy.

Peachtree City – Very nice community, which also makes prices much higher!

Stay away from FULTON COUNTY, school wise, not good.

Cowetta County, schools, much better & desirable, particularly North Cowetta County.
South Cowetta County, has a rough High School.

Fayette County, is also descent with schools & communities, Fayetteville, is an option.
Not far from Peachtree City.

Atlanta has experienced, unbelievable growth, and housing prices are sometimes crazy.
There is a lot of growth, moving South of Atl, with the North, pretty much saturated.
There should be descent deals, out in Cowetta or Fayette County as you continue to look.

Good Luck with the new opportunity and keep your eyes out for a Lowered Sandstone HHR running around Atl, that would be me!

LAter,
Mark

Well looks like I'm at least looking in the right area.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 PM

Snow? In Southern South Carolina?
you must have some sometime? when i travel every year to Fla, i saw road sign" bridge ices before road"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to GA