SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

08 SS code issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:11 PM

08 SS code issues

Just picked up my 08 SS on Friday and love it. On the way home it threw three codes at me p2196 p2177 p2097. Car is surging and running rough.

I have read a bunch of posts and just wanted to know were to start. Fuel pump pressure? O2 sensor what would your suggestions be.

I have limited knowledge on this but want to do it myself and not chase this at the dealer or something like that.

thanks

Darrel
Old 05-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Technical Moderator

I would first look at the wires and connectors going to the #1 O2 sensor.

Find out what the previous owner may have had it tuned for. Like did it have a catless down pipe, different O2 sensor, different MAF etc. Maybe somebody put a switching O2 sensor in it instead of the wide band sensor it needs.

I don't know why you would suspect the fuel pressure, all 3 of those are expressly related to the O2 sensor.

My wild guess is that you need a new #1 sensor, or the car has a tune for equipment that was changed.

Of course, there is the ever popular "forgot to plug the MAF back in".

Are you sure about those numbers? The pairing of P2096 and P2177 or P2097 and P2178 Would be more probable.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM

P2096 and P2177 from what I find deals with a lean condition problem, where P2097 and P2178 are just the opposite. Say the pipe leading to the cat has a leak, I would think the sensor "see's" a lean condition. The system "maybe" adds fuel to correct this, resulting in an over rich condition?
Just for the fun of it, how many miles on this car?
Old 05-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Technical Moderator

The high bias part is most likely a wiring issue or the wrong sensor. I means the baseline is higher than the ECM is calibrated for. Or, the ECM is setup for a different bias.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
P2096 and P2177 from what I find deals with a lean condition problem, where P2097 and P2178 are just the opposite. Say the pipe leading to the cat has a leak, I would think the sensor "see's" a lean condition. The system "maybe" adds fuel to correct this, resulting in an over rich condition?
Just for the fun of it, how many miles on this car?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 PM

I pulled the connector on the maf sensor car ran better was going to clean with maf cleaner just wanted to know if I spray the openings and the silver plates on top or where so I don't screw it up.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Everything, if it is "MAF cleaner".

Does it have a oiled air filter?

If the bias is high the computer would try to richen, I think. The wide band senors are opposite the switching kind , IIRC.

I am not a turbo guy, but I think the bias code means bad/malfunctioning sensor rather than intercooler leaks.

A dealership won't be any better help than the guy down the street. You might try talking to the previous owner, you SS guys tend to take all your goodies off before you sell the car.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 AM

P2096 or P2097 Deal with the post cats O2 sensors
P2177 - P2178 are for the wideband.

Did the previous owner replace the down pipe? Did they replace turbo? There are 2 gaskets that would need to be replaced that could lead to a lean condition. Have they had any issue in the past? Is that the reason they sold it? Or as suggested, the wideband is bad. If you had a means of logging it would give a better indication of the problem.

Pulling the MAF connector and running it put it in open loop, and although I've not tried it my guess is that will probably not build any boost in that condition.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
P2096 or P2097 Deal with the post cats O2 sensors
P2177 - P2178 are for the wideband.

Did the previous owner replace the down pipe? Did they replace turbo? There are 2 gaskets that would need to be replaced that could lead to a lean condition. Have they had any issue in the past? Is that the reason they sold it? Or as suggested, the wideband is bad. If you had a means of logging it would give a better indication of the problem.

Pulling the MAF connector and running it put it in open loop, and although I've not tried it my guess is that will probably not build any boost in that condition.
I just bought it Friday so I have no history with the car. It is now blowing black soot and running very rich. I was going to throw an upstream o2 sensor at it and see if that helps.
If you pull the MAF and run it that way will it hurt the engine?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 AM

If you have the MAF pulled it will run rich, the MAF also one of the IAT sensors in it used to sense inlet air temp so it probably thinks it -38 degrees outside. While not good for the engine and plugs, it will definitely hurt the CATs.

Quick Reply: 08 SS code issues