SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Daydreaming about AWD....

Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 AM

Daydreaming about AWD....

My buddy and I were talking about his Honda Prelude and how we wish we had the money for serious power. He mentioned how some people are currently switching parts from the AWD pilots or crosstours and building AWD S2000s and Preludes.

How I wish the HHR could have been AWD.... but while Im still wishfully thinking, does anyone have an idea how hard it would be to do somthing like this with the AWD Traverse or similar vehicle?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM

Not a real easy or cheap idea. There were no Delta platform vehicles with AWD. You would have to do a lot of fab work to get anything to work and even then it would not be well sorted like many of the factory systems that are computer controled on the market.

The power it would take to run a system would also take away from the performance of the car. The extra driveline does have a performance penalty. The Street Rod my firm built with AWD took 175HP to run the front drivetrain from a Syclone. The car was slower in the 1/4 mile with the front driveshaft in. But we also had over 600 HP to make up for any other drain on power.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Friend of mine made his honda del sol awd using crv parts and the rear end out of 1989 civic wagon. pretty cool, he ralley races it :)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Just buy a WRX STi... oh wait don't cuz' you will look at your HHR after test driving the WRX and seriously consider leaving it there, I know I did. But you do need a shoehorn to get into the STi.

Search this Thread