SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Automatic ss axles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 AM

Automatic ss axles

I'm having a hell of a time tracking down a new axle for my hhr. Tried every local auto parts store and to no avail. Every cross reference comes back to the same wrong part. Problem is I pulled it all apart after buying a new axle from autozone, only to find out the splines are different.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 AM

Hi Ninny, to the forums!!

Have a read through this thread, even if you already have, you might see something you missed before.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...el-pump-57070/

This is the most info we have on these axles. Google the part number, you may get lucky and find one somewhere. There's also info on where to get yours rebuilt. There are also some aftermarket part numbers in there, but we don't know if they'll actually fit.

Let us know how this works out, what works, as well as what doesn't.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 AM

I did, and thanks for the response. 1 thing I haven't been able to find any info on is this little cup like bearing on the end of the axle that slides into the differential. This seems to be the source of the chatter
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Technical Moderator

It is called a "tripot". It is basically 3 rollers in channels to form a slip joint that also has a bit of flex.

You say you read that thread and it was no help? What about the "GM8206" suggestion? The parts books say not compatible, but a owner has them installed. IIRC, they are listed for Malibu, G6, Aura etc. I don't know why they wouldn't be the same.

Sometimes you have to lie to the counterman. Take a tape measure with you to check measurements, remember the tripot is a slip joint, so you have a little wiggle room.

Automatic ss axles-trpot.png

This is the spec for gm8206
Name:  axle.PNG
Views: 601
Size:  10.1 KB

Last edited by donbrew; 08-18-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 PM

http://www.partsgeek.com/dvb5f7l-che...+Axle+Assembly
Is this a possible source of my chatter. I mean in past experience when I remove a bad axle you can tell right away that the axle is shot. This one seems to move fine but the end feels loose, but then it also seems like an extension with what appears to be some sort of bearing race. Saw this and it seems to be what I'm referring to
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you see the drawings I posted?

The pass side has a stub, I doubt that is your problem; I have operated without that tiny end bit; it only seals the seal.

There is supposed to be a few inches of end play in the slip joint or you could not drive over bumps.

What exactly is the symptom you are throwing parts at?

Here is the beginning of the CV diagnostic procedure:
Automatic ss axles-symp-list.png
Old 08-18-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you see the drawings I posted?

The pass side has a stub, I doubt that is your problem; I have operated without that tiny end bit; it only seals the seal.

There is supposed to be a few inches of end play in the slip joint or you could not drive over bumps.

What exactly is the symptom you are throwing parts at?

Here is the beginning of the CV diagnostic procedure:
Attachment 45446
Well now I'm beginning to second guess my initial diagnosis as the cv axle appears to be fine aside from some oil/grease grime. Boots aren't torn and the joints seem to move without any sort of issue. What I am experiencing is a loud humming noise that sounds like a lifted truck tire. It's constant, just getting louder with speed. I'm beginning to lean towards the hub bearing but like the axle I'm pretty much ending up at g6/malibu/aura hubs. I ordered one already so hopefully will resolve this issue by the weekend.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by NinnySS
Well now I'm beginning to second guess my initial diagnosis as the cv axle appears to be fine aside from some oil/grease grime. Boots aren't torn and the joints seem to move without any sort of issue. What I am experiencing is a loud humming noise that sounds like a lifted truck tire. It's constant, just getting louder with speed. I'm beginning to lean towards the hub bearing but like the axle I'm pretty much ending up at g6/malibu/aura hubs. I ordered one already so hopefully will resolve this issue by the weekend.
From the common part number thread
Front hub/bearing assembly FE-5(SS) 2008-2010. Use GM PN 15793213
Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Technical Moderator

Hubs!

The ones I see on ebay also fit Malibu,G6,Aura.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

The 15793213 GM hubs fit the HHR SS and the Pontiac G6 , but not the Saturn Aura, nor the Chevrolet Malibu, per this site, I just changed vehicles in the fitment guide

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Quick Reply: Automatic ss axles