SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad Turbo? :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:41 PM

Bad Turbo? :(

Driving down the highway yesterday I start to hear a high pitch rev (think old time firehouse siren, but high pitched) cutting in and out. When it came back, I gave a little gas, and had no boost. Got off the highway and now that noise is made any time I accelerate.

Could my turbo have just kicked the bucket? No check engine light, no codes, no boost.

Crawled under the car today and started the car up cold - noise is coming from the same area as the flex pipe. Took a look, and there's a good amount of what looks like oil around the air intake connection to what I believe is the turbo. Not enough to drip, but enough to be concerned.

I'm new to the SS game, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Deceased

How many miles are on your ride? Because I honestly can't remember, and I should.

From the initial sounds of it, yeah it could have puked the turbo, especially of it's pulling oil past the seals into the intake side.

Those turbochargers spin at 90,000-120,000 rpm, and the seals and bearings in the center section between the exhaust driven turbine and the compressor section do fail.

Usually it's the oil seals that seem to let go first, but the high pitched screaming you're describing could be the turbine or compressor blades contacting the housing...and that's Game Over for the turbo.

I'd take it either to your dealership if you trust their techs, or a good independent shop that does turbo work and let them check it out.

It won't be cheap, but reman turbos aren't as expensive as you might think.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
How many miles are on your ride? Because I honestly can't remember, and I should.

From the initial sounds of it, yeah it could have puked the turbo, especially of it's pulling oil past the seals into the intake side.

Those turbochargers spin at 90,000-120,000 rpm, and the seals and bearings in the center section between the exhaust driven turbine and the compressor section do fail.

Usually it's the oil seals that seem to let go first, but the high pitched screaming you're describing could be the turbine or compressor blades contacting the housing...and that's Game Over for the turbo.

I'd take it either to your dealership if you trust their techs, or a good independent shop that does turbo work and let them check it out.

It won't be cheap, but reman turbos aren't as expensive as you might think.
Just hit 80,400. My brother (my mechanic) is gonna look at it, and if it's a turbo issue, I will probably get a replacement turbo and just swap. Could it be possible my O ring snapped, and the end is hitting the blades?

Good news is I still have my 1LT, so I'm driving that until we fix the issue with the SS.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Deceased

It could be the O-Ring seal has failed and it hitting the blades, it's one of those deals where you're just not going to know for sure until you get in there for a looky-loo.

Good luck my friend, and keep us posted OK.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 AM

It could be the O-Ring seal has failed and it hitting the blades, it's one of those deals where you're just not going to know for sure until you get in there for a looky-loo.

Good luck my friend, and keep us posted OK.
Definitely will, and might make it a write-up if it's something internal!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Deceased

Sounds good, a Write-Up would be a great asset to the Site and other SS owners.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I always thought that a high pitched whine from the turbo was the bearings going bad and on the verge of locking up.

I drove fire engines for 30 years. Most of those were Detroit diesel powered. Those turbos whined all the time. Actually was pretty annoying when we were cruising on the interstate.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I always thought that a high pitched whine from the turbo was the bearings going bad and on the verge of locking up.

I drove fire engines for 30 years. Most of those were Detroit diesel powered. Those turbos whined all the time. Actually was pretty annoying when we were cruising on the interstate.
Well it came out of nowhere firemangeorge. Had cruise control set at 70mph and close to the end of my drive it started whining. Get off the highway, and it now whines any time I accelerate.

If it is the turbo going down the tubes, advantage is Black Friday is right around the corner. Maybe ZZP or some other site will have deals. If I'm replacing the Turbo, might as well get something bigger!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Check out BlackTara's ad in the classified section, he has a turbo for sale!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM

It could be the O-Ring seal has failed and it hitting the blades,
O ring hitting the blades? Do you mean the compressor side or the turbine end?
When a turbo fails the center support bearing doesn't do it's job no more causing the sealing area to fail and now leak oil under oil pressure. It can go one of two ways or both. Into the intake side or out the exhaust. In either case there should be oil smoke.
On top of that the Cat is junk do to the oil contamination.
If the shaft has caused the compressor side to hit the housing, aluminium has now entered the engine. How much damage to the cylinders is the result of the metal ingested.
I have 30 years working with turbo Caterpillar engines and a turbo is a turbo.
I even worked on the turbo Pinto's way back when. But that's another story.

Quick Reply: Bad Turbo? :(