Boost issues - Page 2 - Chevy HHR Network

SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Old 05-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemangeorge View Post
Yes, you have a problem.
Normal boost on a stock SS should be in the 14-17 psi range.
I knew there was something I should have asked when we met!
The highest I have seen so far in mine (with Torque app) was a little over 13, but that could be inaccuracies with the app-OBDII connection. Maybe some correction is possible in the app. The RPD readout I think is not very accurate either.

Once I get my standard boost gauge and get it installed in the pillar, I should know better.
Casa Del Gatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw01 View Post
ok here is the update. I built a leak Tester as described in a link I received. Slapped it in and ran the boost gauge up to about 12psi indicated. Found my leak. The intercooler plastic tank is cracked. On the cold side coming out of intercooler to the motor. So now to look for an intercooler preferably all aluminum with no plastic :) also since the front bumper is off any other mods suggested? As far as intercooler duct replacements? Thanks for all your help guys I greatly appreciate it.
Go ahead and throw in a set of Depo headlights while it is off.
Cheap upgrade and they look awesome.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos View Post
I knew there was something I should have asked when we met!
The highest I have seen so far in mine (with Torque app) was a little over 13, but that could be inaccuracies with the app-OBDII connection. Maybe some correction is possible in the app. The RPD readout I think is not very accurate either.

Once I get my standard boost gauge and get it installed in the pillar, I should know better.
i thought all the SS cars had the boost gauge in the windshield post? My gauge has never indicated over 10. Normally 8-9 in the year I have been driving it. Once I get new intercooler and tubing installed if it still reads 8-10 I will adjust the Wastegate to get it to 15ish.
Outlaw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw01 View Post

i thought all the SS cars had the boost gauge in the windshield post? My gauge has never indicated over 10. Normally 8-9 in the year I have been driving it. Once I get new intercooler and tubing installed if it still reads 8-10 I will adjust the Wastegate to get it to 15ish.
https://binged.it/2rF9Qet
In 2009, they introduced the RPD - Reconfigurable Performance Display. It is a color LCD with multiple screens (including boost gauge) that you can scroll through. It replaces the center dash storage unit and looks very cool, with LOTS of info available like Air Flow, Cam Phasers, Temp, tires, fuel pressure, etc. but NOT oil pressure.

With the RPD, you did not get the A pillar gauge. I have since bought a pillar with a hole in it from a FB friend and am deciding on whose gauge to install. The factory one is easy since the wiring is in there already, but I like the looks of some of the colored LED ones.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #15  

Adjusting the wastegate is a waste(yes, pun intended) of time and effort. Any gain is short term, the computer will "learn-down" back 260 lbs ft of torque. Good chance the new IC will fix the low boost also.
RJ_RS_SS_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 View Post
Adjusting the wastegate is a waste(yes, pun intended) of time and effort. Any gain is short term, the computer will "learn-down" back 260 lbs ft of torque. Good chance the new IC will fix the low boost also.

So itís not a boost issue the way the motors are set up but a max torque setting in the computer? Is that someone that can be adjusted or turned off with something like HP Tuners?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #17  

HPT will allow you to get more than 260. One step at a time, that boost leak, metered air escaping, has been wreaking havok on all the settings and parameters.

That sounded pretty smart, huh?
RJ_RS_SS_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 View Post
HPT will allow you to get more than 260. One step at a time, that boost leak, metered air escaping, has been wreaking havok on all the settings and parameters.

That sounded pretty smart, huh?

lol yeah once I get the intercooler done which I ordered today and has now shipped to me YEAH!!!! The next step will be to get the credits to unlock my VIN and see what havoc I can wreak. :)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #19  

ZZ Performance

Received my new intercooler today and all the intercooler duct work. I must say the quality of the pieces I received today is top notch. I have built several custom turbo kits for racing and this quality is second to none. Looking forward to getting the car torn down and the kit installed. I will do my best to take shots along the way and try and build a thread for install onto my HHR SS. The intercooler is extremely nice and heavy. If I crack this i have some serious issues lol
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #20  

ZZ intercooler install done

Got the car pulled apart and back together in an afternoon. Started at 1300. Took first test drive around 7. Car still flagging inderboost P0299 code. Pissed needless to say but at least my intercooler isnít cracked any longer. ZZPerformance has some nice stuff. Install was pretty straight forward. Going to replace the sensor in the cold air charge tube. I did another leak test and itís leaking around the Oring. After I do that then I will have to figure out WHY it keeps popping that damn code. And it still flags the code around 8psi. Which is the most I have ever seen on this car. Will keep you updated.