SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

CEL, P0010, thinking it's a fluke.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what terryk says. Mine acted up periodically, eventually getting more frequent, to the point I finally replaced them both.

time to get rid of it FMG - looks like it is starting to fall apart on ya.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whopper

time to get rid of it FMG - looks like it is starting to fall apart on ya.
You making an offer ?

Seriously. How could I part with it ? Where would Copper Kitty, aka. the rodent eliminator take his naps ?
Gotta take care of my pets. I'm heading back outside now to finish pressure washing the dogs kennel.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 08-22-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Well. The P0010 showed up again. Last time was in August but I've only put about 600 miles on it since then.
Same scenario. Drove it about 15-20 miles and was taking off slowly again from a stop when the CEL lit up.
But there's more. Pulled the codes and at the top was=Current P0010
Plus a bonus.
Pending=P0300
=P0301
=P0302
=P0303
Didn't show those misfire codes the 1st time back in August. Also curious why I didn't get the P0304 since it triggered the other 3 cylinder codes.

If anyone has some words of wisdom, please speak up before I dig in with some diagnostics.
At the very least I'll probably go ahead and replace the solenoid actuators.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Aaahhhh it got jealous cause you washed the dog kennel rather than the SS!!!

Yeah, I'd replace the Intake Solenoid at least, and maybe replace the exhaust one too if you feel like it. Back when I had the same problem with the solenoid I only had a hit on the one - but replaced them both, and kept the one that was still ok as a spare. Well that was a great idea I thought - but I never had another failure. I think the replacements were an upgraded part - and I never had another hit on them.

and at the current price what the hay, replace them both. They list for $150 ea back when mine failed, but I weaselled them down to $100 each.

The misfire codes - that is weird that cyl #4 never got a hit. I'd replace the solenoid(s), clear the codes and see if the misfires come back. One problem at a time approach.

ps: what kind of hound(s) ya got there?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Technical Moderator

The way the computer calculates which cylinder to blame. It takes data from the crankshaft sensor and compares it to the camshaft sensor and a couple other sensors. So, if one of the camshafts is not where it is supposed to be the data is corrupted.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Administrator

You could take the Solenoid out and clean them, no wait there’s no dirt even near your SS.
Seriously, try giving the intake side a squirt of sea foam or similar
Old 12-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info guys.
Since it's such an easy job I'll just replace both solenoids. No hurry, may just wait till after Xmas.
I'm going to clear the codes now and see if any of the misfire ones show up again.
Don. Interesting info. Never thought about "how" the computer does that.

whopper. Down to 1 dog and some cats. Rescue Doberman, 3 year old female that holds the title of World's Worst Watchdog. Will not bark at anything except a coyote or fox. All delivery trucks or mail persons don't get a look from her.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Administrator

So just Mustangs with a newer V8? Interesting

Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Update.
Sorry it's been 10 days but this is the 1st time driving my SS since Dec.1.
Never did clear the codes back then but cranked the car up today. No CEL on the dash. Drove to Wally World about 6 miles. Still clear.
BUT. Crank the car up to leave and the Service Air Bag message pops up. Never had that one come on before. Turned the car off, then restarted. No more Air Bag light. May be a product of our unusually cool weather.

Ok. Drive home with no more warnings or CEL's. I parked in the garage and pulled the codes again. Still shows the P0010 but those pending misfire codes are gone. Went ahead and cleared that last code. I'll see if (or when) it shows back up. Still planning on replacing the solenoids eventually.

As far as the air bag light, I'm wondering if it may be my battery starting to show it's age. Yep, original battery almost 8 years old. Add in the colder weather and the car sitting for 10 days, the voltage may not be up to the job. Wish I would have looked at the RPD's voltage meter when it happened.

That's all I've got for now.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Get the battery load tested, you local parts palaces are careful and surgical clean!!

Quick Reply: CEL, P0010, thinking it's a fluke.