SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Cold start noice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM

Cold start noice

Hello. Can anybody help me to identify the noise I am having on cold starts. I post I video on YouTube. But not sure how to link it to here. Name for the video 2010 hhr ss cold start noise. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 PM

You just highlight the web address, copy, and paste it into the icon that looks like earth and a chain link.

Sounds like a starter problem.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Thank you for your help. Now that I think about it, about a month ago , when starting the car, it took me about 10-15 sec to start. Only happened once. But this notice is there every time I start it cold. Is there a rebuilt kit for that starter , or just replace the whole thing?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Replace the starter.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Replaced the starter yesterday. So today when starting cold, the noice is still there. Any idea?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Technical Moderator

It's an SS, so I will guess that it is one of the solenoids on the turbo dis/engaging a valve.

I would open the hood up and have my lovely assistant start the motor while I listened carefully for the location. Since it happens every time you could have several shots at it.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It's an SS, so I will guess that it is one of the solenoids on the turbo dis/engaging a valve.

I would open the hood up and have my lovely assistant start the motor while I listened carefully for the location. Since it happens every time you could have several shots at it.
Ok. Are the solenoid those small little black plastic parts? One is on the turbo, and another is on the intake manifold?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Technical Moderator

I'm just saying that getting close and personal is a better way to figure it out than asking the internets.

There are several solenoids and relays in the engine compartment.

If it is a "clunk" kind of thing that would be a possibility; if it is more like a "roar" it could be one of the pulleys. There are only so many things to look at.

I couldn't even hear anything the first 4 times I listened. If you are not capable of opening the hood and paying attention to where a sound is coming from you should pay someone who is. I mean that in the nicest way possible, not intended to be mean.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I'm just saying that getting close and personal is a better way to figure it out than asking the internets.

There are several solenoids and relays in the engine compartment.

If it is a "clunk" kind of thing that would be a possibility; if it is more like a "roar" it could be one of the pulleys. There are only so many things to look at.

I couldn't even hear anything the first 4 times I listened. If you are not capable of opening the hood and paying attention to where a sound is coming from you should pay someone who is. I mean that in the nicest way possible, not intended to be mean.
Well I did manage to open the hood to try to pinpoint where exactly the noice was coming from. Couldn't do it. Because like I sad it is only happening when I start it in the morning. Won't happen second start. So the whole idea of posting video, was if maybe someone had the same thing happened. Also I thought that was one of the purpose of the forums to begin with. I guess I will deal with it myself. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately one of the hardest things to diagnose over the internet is "noises". A rattle to you may be a clunk to me - and a twitter to someone else.

And as you likely have gathered, it sounds (no pun intended) like you have an issue no one here have encountered.

If you can't pinpoint the source yourself, you are going to have someone else start it for you, to drop it off at a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Cold start noice