SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

cylinder 1 misfire detected

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM

cylinder 1 misfire detected

well...while driving in second gear around 10-15 mph i punched it to merge. got a CEL and engine was cutting out/ sputtering. the code has gone away and reappeared. to make a long story short sometimes i have full power and everything is great and sometimes not so much...sputtering, not getting past like 4000rpm or so

bought a scanner and code revealed was P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected. Now where do I start to look to fix it? i sent chevymgr a pm and am awaiting his response but any help is much appreciated
Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Don't get upset and let them work it out. Warranty
Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM

....bsr

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Don't get upset and let them work it out. Warranty
Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 PM

All you gotta do...( love that statement !) break the system down for troubleshooting..It takes spark and fuel to make fire, so either you have a ign problem or a fuel delievery problem.....spark? Maybe a bad coil on that cylinder, loose wire,bad ground etc..fuel? water, inj plug loose..dirty inj, sticky inj, etc etc. Since its only one cyl doing it, it eliminates the entire system as being at fault.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM

I have to agree with the above.Usually it is an ignition problem related to a bad coil,plug wire,or injector plug-in.Just use common sense and trace it one component at a time.Make sure your getting spark from the coil pack to the plug wire ,plug wire to the plug etc...Coil packs going bad are not uncommon and will act like an old distrubutor cap that has been cracked.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jeffros hhr
I have to agree with the above.Usually it is an ignition problem related to a bad coil,plug wire,or injector plug-in.Just use common sense and trace it one component at a time.Make sure your getting spark from the coil pack to the plug wire ,plug wire to the plug etc...Coil packs going bad are not uncommon and will act like an old distrubutor cap that has been cracked.
well i know it is getting spark cause it only is acting up sometimes. probably a spark plug or something. i guess to the dealer i will go
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM

any answer yet?

My ss is doing the exact same thing only i've narrowed it down to when it rains i've had it in the shop three times and they still can't find it...have you found your problem yet?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by cbotidefan
My ss is doing the exact same thing only i've narrowed it down to when it rains i've had it in the shop three times and they still can't find it...have you found your problem yet?
I've had that problem before from cheap ignition wires many years ago. It also could be other ignition related parts effected by moisture. Should not be a hard problem to solve....

Fred
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM

You can isolate it to the coil by swapping coils with another cylinder and seeing if the misfire follows the coil. All four coils are identical. Or swap the coil to one cylinder and the spark plug to another and see it follows either one.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM

all is well and it was an isolated problem that disappeared after the engine digested a tankful what can i say...i had bad gas

Quick Reply: cylinder 1 misfire detected