Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   Feels like turbo lag (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/feels-like-turbo-lag-39937/)

pitbull76 03-15-2012 07:49 PM

Feels like turbo lag

OK today my SS started to act up. First I had no boost for a short trip. Upon restart, it has boost but it feels like it has serious turbo lag. From a standing start, it initially has low or no boost and feels weak, but then boost builds and it has good power for a bit. When moving, boost is similar. None at first and then it builds up. No CEL yet. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Some specifics on my car: 08 SS, Stg 1. auto ~47K miles. I've had it since 5K miles so I know what I'm feeling is NOT normal. Thanks for any help!

badassbowtie 03-15-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull76 (Post 626776)
OK today my SS started to act up. First I had no boost for a short trip. Upon restart, it has boost but it feels like it has serious turbo lag. From a standing start, it initially has low or no boost and feels weak, but then boost builds and it has good power for a bit. When moving, boost is similar. None at first and then it builds up. No CEL yet. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Some specifics on my car: 08 SS, Stg 1. auto ~47K miles. I've had it since 5K miles so I know what I'm feeling is NOT normal. Thanks for any help!

sounds like the bypass valve spring. but i'm not sure. someone else may be able to confirm

SS fan 03-15-2012 07:57 PM

Take a look at the bottom wires for the stg-1, sounds like they are frayed.

pitbull76 03-15-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan (Post 626781)
Take a look at the bottom wires for the stg-1, sounds like they are frayed.

I did look and I can see I have minimal or no clearance with the lower TMAP, but would issues with that typically cause delayed turbo spool-up? Because it will still boost to 20+psi, but the boost is just delayed.

firemangeorge 03-15-2012 08:59 PM

Could be a number of things. First thought is a boost leak problem.Check upper and lower IC pipes and intercooler itself(haven't bumped any curbs with the front have you?) While your under there,check that :cussing:lower Tmap wiring as stated above.

IgottaWoody 03-16-2012 12:51 AM

Lower map will generally make it fall flat on its face anytime the eng torques over...building up slow sounds like ..leak....slow spooling turbo...stuck spring or valve ... if you have no lower clearance take a zip tie and pull the lower tube forward until you get a real fix worked out..corner of radiator works good.

pitbull76 03-16-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody (Post 626880)
Lower map will generally make it fall flat on its face anytime the eng torques over...building up slow sounds like ..leak....slow spooling turbo...stuck spring or valve ... if you have no lower clearance take a zip tie and pull the lower tube forward until you get a real fix worked out..corner of radiator works good.

Thanks for your help. My recollection of reading about the lower TMAP issues was more like you list above. By stuck spring or valve, do you mean the BOV spring? That sounds like a good starting point, and after a bit of searching might also explain my temporary complete loss of boost on one trip. I'll also use your idea of the zip tie for clearance until I can get something better worked out.

SS fan 03-16-2012 08:33 AM

Tried to buy a forge from Genuine Saab they are still out of stock.:(

pitbull76 03-22-2012 10:06 AM

I ordered a new Forge BOV just yesterday. The funny think is the car really hasn't been running too badly for the last couple days, even though I've done nothing to it yet. Hopefully installing the Forge valve and fixing the clearance issue will resolve my problems permanantly. I'll let you guys know once I have the BOV in place.

SS fan 03-22-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed the forge yesterday, the yellow spring works perfect with stg-1.

one of these have kept the bottom wiring from rubbing, kudo's to the Mr. Goodwrench who did it for me. :twothumbs: