SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

No Boost, LIMP Mode no Check Engine Light??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM

No Boost, LIMP Mode no Check Engine Light??

Hello,

Bought a K&N stock air filter a few days ago and drove around with it installed and the airbox lid removed. Ran great and sounded great but after about 30 miles I got a CEL and the car when itnto ***** mode, I mean LIMP mode where it doesnt boost and basically acts like a Geo Metro power wise.

So I get it cleared once and erase the codes just to see if it would maybe not come back, sure enough even with the light off, the car went into LIMP mode every start after about 2-3 minutes of driving. Before that 2-3 minutes the car would run great and boost.

Ok so now I put the Lid back on and it would still go into LIMP mode figuring it would have to learn that the lid was back on. Well I thought it was working fine, yesterday it didn't go into LIMP mode even with the CEL still on from before.

Today I go and drive about 30 miles, I noticed the CEL finally turned off but on my way back home, so after 15 miles, I put the foot to the floor and notice that its NOT BOOSTING at all and almost thought the tranny was gonna blow because it was going to like 6-7000rpm and the car was barely making any power.

WHAT IS THE DEAL?? I thought with the CEL off now, the computer can see thats the case, all I have done is a stock K&N filter. Like I said yesterday I don't remember it going into limp mode on a 10 mile trip so now I am worried something else is wrong.

Should I reset the ecm? Do I pull certain fuses to do this or is disconnecting the battery the only option? Is there something I am missing here that is still making the car go LIMP? Man this is annoying as I bought this car to be a relaible and fun car and now I am stuck with a TURD in the water that isnt any fun to drive at all. Sorry if I sound a little off I have been tired and sick all day and the one time I took the car out to get a cinnabon :) on the way back I notice it acting like I described which is a huge let down. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Technical Moderator

Just for kicks check the MAF connector, you may have jiggled it. That's all I got.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Put the paper filter back, see if it likes it better, mine dont care, but I run the paper any way, don't want to gunk up the sensors with red oil. I have heard some SS's wont run the K&N without a tune. You could have one. I didn't notice any difference with the K&N or without it. I would try that first.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM

yeah check the maf sensor and see if it has the oil from the filter on it. if so clean it with maf cleaner and see how it works for ya.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 PM

thanks guys tomorrow when it gets light outside I will check all the above....it is just weird that its acting so temperamental to a air filter I mean comon car ======================

Im going to go check if it doesnt go into limp right away, would that be a sign that it's an oiled MAF if it is LIMP off the bat?

Would resetting the ECM help anyway since I never did that after putting it on?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM

resetting the ecm (by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the negative battery terminal) will clear the code but it seems like it will come back. it is common to have to reset the ecm when adding a k&n or an intake or exhaust or something like that on other vehicles but our ecm is torque based and will only put out what that specified torque is regardless of any other mods done unless you change the torque calibration in the ecm with a tune......so resetting it will likely do nothing.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 PM

damn....what fuses cuz I will try that just in case?

I was going to get a tune anyway, but my question was if I go with a trifecta and add more stuff after I get the tune will Vince give me free updates/support or will I have to spend more money every time I put a mod on?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Ask Him, I'm sure he will take care of you. You putting a bigger turbo in ?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 AM

nope i am going to keep this car nice and simple....I want a quiet exhaust, downpipe, charge piping, ECM and than this intake as long as my car doesnt act all gay like it is now

going to check the MAF and reset the ECM now, I'll get back with results.

One more question would a K&N filter in stock box detune to the car to a point were even 3-4lbs would be the most boost? I mean I highly doubt this because it felt like a TURD last night.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

If the computer don't like the flavor, it just shuts down the show to protect it's self. Mine, being an auto, trys to shut it down when I get a little wheel spin at the top of 1st going into 2nd, to save the differential. Vince turned it off.

Really put the stock filter back in and reset, lets see if it will run like it did.

Quick Reply: No Boost, LIMP Mode no Check Engine Light??