SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Intermittent no power lack of boost. Pending dtc p0101

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Intermittent no power lack of boost. Pending dtc p0101

So I have spent a few hours reading and searching the forum for causes of the p0101. I have inspected most every connection and wiring. Inspected all the piping and everything looks good. I have a 2008 ss 5speed with stage 1. I installed the stage one and adjusted fitment of the maf when I originally installed it. Nothing appears to be rubbing, and wires were soldered and heat shrinked. I have not done a boost leak test, but I doubt that is my problem as when it is working properly it creates 25psi and holds steady. And it has just randomly cut power under steady cruise, as well as accel. It has 65,000kms on it. I replace all 4 spark plugs, and the misfires seamed to be gone now. At 40,000kms ish the dealer replaced the cylinder head, turbo a intake pipe and the airbox assembly as they broke it. It has run great up until the last couple weeks. Stage 1 has been on it since 3500kms.

While researching it has left me confused on what my actual cause of the concern may be. I am a Journeyman tech by trade, so I am not afraid of diving into it, but it is leaving me scratching my head as where to start. When I go to work tomorrow I plan to boost leak check it, and replace the air filter and clean the maf, but I am doubting any of that is my concern as I always stick to manufacturer parts in any daily driver I have for reliability purposes.

Is there a tsb for this concern, or a thread that actually has the concern resolved, as all the ones I have read seem to be ongoing concerns. Any help would be appreciated as I do not ask unless I am lost, and I liberally use the search function.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM

Boost leak seems to be the leading cause of p0101.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Which blue ? I would check the lower wires very carefully, mine needed redoing but looked fine. I would think with that much boost the leak would whistle, loud. P0101 intake ? Almost...MAF . Have you cleaned it, only time I've seen that code is on my buddies SS, he installed a ZZP CAI and it don't like it.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEHHRSS5SPEED
So I have spent a few hours reading and searching the forum for causes of the p0101. I have inspected most every connection and wiring. Inspected all the piping and everything looks good. I have a 2008 ss 5speed with stage 1. I installed the stage one and adjusted fitment of the maf when I originally installed it. Nothing appears to be rubbing, and wires were soldered and heat shrinked. I have not done a boost leak test, but I doubt that is my problem as when it is working properly it creates 25psi and holds steady. And it has just randomly cut power under steady cruise, as well as accel. It has 65,000kms on it. I replace all 4 spark plugs, and the misfires seamed to be gone now. At 40,000kms ish the dealer replaced the cylinder head, turbo a intake pipe and the airbox assembly as they broke it. It has run great up until the last couple weeks. Stage 1 has been on it since 3500kms.

While researching it has left me confused on what my actual cause of the concern may be. I am a Journeyman tech by trade, so I am not afraid of diving into it, but it is leaving me scratching my head as where to start. When I go to work tomorrow I plan to boost leak check it, and replace the air filter and clean the maf, but I am doubting any of that is my concern as I always stick to manufacturer parts in any daily driver I have for reliability purposes.

Is there a tsb for this concern, or a thread that actually has the concern resolved, as all the ones I have read seem to be ongoing concerns. Any help would be appreciated as I do not ask unless I am lost, and I liberally use the search function.
Sorry to hear about your concerns. I know that if you contact GM of Canada they would me more than happy to assist you with your questions.

Canada Customer Care
(800)-263-3777

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 AM

Well I will call them.

Update. I boost leak checked it, none found. I checked the air filter, while appearing not to bad, found to be filled with dust. replaced it, looked at the maf and it was dirty, so I cleaned it. I noticed a bit of an improvement but not enough to be happy. I installed a new maf and it almost smartened completely up. When cold start, first thing in the morning I still get a bit of a surge and rough run till the engine temp comes up. Then while normal driving I get the odd stumble out of it. It does not drop off now under boost. I find it odd that there is more than one issue that popped it's head at the same time, so I must still be missing the problem.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Take a look at my posts on this
I would pull upper tmap sensor look for oil and clean with maf cleaner.
Also check lower tmap wires
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I've also been dealing with the GMTU boost issue (P0101 and P0106) off and on. I've done the lower MAP wiring soldering thing, moved the cold side pipe farther away from the AC compressor, and installed the TTR motor mount just for a little more insurance.

Most recently, I found the hot side pipe bracket flopping around on the mounting post with the grommet crammed inside the bracket area since, I'm guessing, the dealer fixed was working on a finally fixed the boost problem I have last year (three trips to the dealer before mechanic found a loose connection at the intercooler). Anyway, I installed the grommet correctly (I think) and now the pipe doesn't move around. Could it be that the loose pipe movement cause a momentary leak at the joint(s) enough to throw a pending code? I don't know, but I'm hoping for the best. Only time will tell...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM

I would be willing to bet if you pull your upper tmap sensor there will be oil on it
One possibility.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Angry Pending P0101

Here we go again. All was OK for the past 300 miles or so. Then on the way home while just cruising at 65 MPH today, the car bucked, lost boost, and just had enough power to make it to our exit. Also noticed the off-throttle vacuum increases significantly whenever this happens. Boost came back to normal after I got off the freeway on surface streets going home. Never got a check-engine light, but it now has a pending P0101. ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear that
Couple things
Check your oil level curious if its overfull
Pull upper tmap sensor
Any signs of oil?
How about oil down in the intake?
If I had to guess as you where driving along you went up a slight incline?
Making maybe 1 psi of boost? Then it happened?

Quick Reply: Intermittent no power lack of boost. Pending dtc p0101