SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Lots of oil in cyl #3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Lots of oil in cyl #3

So I'm helping a guy with repairing his car. I found that cylinder #3 had lots of oil on the piston. Also oil all in the charge pipe. Origanaly I figured bad oil seal in turbo. But all the cylinders would be oily. I'm seeing some heavy carbon on the others but there not wet like in #3. Figured I'd start a thread on the repair as a group of people are trying to help him.
We have seen this guy help so many from giving away car repairs to helping a homeless guy and a little boy who lost his dad at Christmas. Time for good to come to this guy. Ill post pictures soon. But looking like we need a engine!!
Old 06-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Please , let’s start with
Year?
Engine?
mileage?

then we can go from there
Old 06-18-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Please , let’s start with
Year?
Engine?
mileage?

then we can go from there
2008 chevy hhr ss auto. 2.0l I believe its a lnf. Sorry I can't believe I forgot that info.
I'm sorry I just received a warning in pm so I'm not sure if I should continue with posting
Old 06-18-2019, 02:11 PM

We can help with a diagnosis, but we can't condone solicitation of donations.

The oil in the charge piping could be from a bad turbo. However, it is a common occurrence, one arm of the PCV system dumps vapors right into the mouth of the turbo.

The oil in #3 could be from bad valve guides/seals, clogged oil control ring, or damage to the piston/rings/cylinder wall.

The oil in the charge piping is most likely far heavier in the hot side than in the cold side piping. It mostly gets caught in the intercooler, with some making it to stick to the back of all the intake valves. You'll also see puddling in the intake manifold. The rest gets burned in the combustion chamber.

The pudding in the intake manifold mostly comes from the other arm of the PCV system, the PCV valve is integral to the manifold, and the vapors dump directly into the manifold.

Here's more about it, and how to help prevent it in the future.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...tch-can-54350/

If you end up removing the intake manifold,
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...fold-ss-56181/
you should clean the valves. Some ideas in here
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...lves-ss-56184/

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 06-18-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 06-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
We can help with a diagnosis, but we can't condone solicitation of donations.

The oil in the charge piping could be from a bad turbo. However, it is a common occurrence, one arm of the PCV system dumps vapors right into the mouth of the turbo.

The oil in #3 could be from bad valve guides/seals, clogged oil control ring, or damage to the piston/rings/cylinder wall.

The oil in the charge piping is most likely far heavier in the hot side than in the cold side piping. It mostly gets caught in the intercooler, with some making it to stick to the back of all the intake valves. You'll also see puddling in the intake manifold. The rest gets burned in the combustion chamber.

The pudding in the intake manifold mostly comes from the other arm of the PCV system, the PCV valve is integral to the manifold, and the vapors dump directly into the manifold.
I never solicatated for any donation. I spoke we have raised money. That means if we where to find parts here we could pay.
Thankyou for that information. I expecting a broken piston ring or piston. I did just roll motor over with no plugs and it was a geyser of oil shot out. So now where trying to find a good used motor for him. So if anyone has one for sale we are in the market. Closer to Michigan the better. Thanks guys.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Technical Moderator

My guess is valve guides/seals.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I added some links to my post, might be helpful for a used motor also.

Ok, misunderstanding about the donations.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If I can remember how to post videos ill post one of the geyser . Iv never seem this much oil from a valve guide or seal. I could be wrong.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
So you're thinking the oil drips into the cylinder, then the compression blew it out the spark plug hole. That's a lot of oil, the guides and seals must both be shot. Oil is not pressurized there.

Or maybe the rings/piston are broken, and the squirters are pushing pressurized oil into the combustion chamber.

Do you have any history on the car? Has the oil consumption gotten progressively worse, or was it sudden?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I added some links to my post, might be helpful for a used motor also.

Ok, misunderstanding about the donations.
Thankyou for those links ill look over them. Hopefully we can get him going.
Anyone know what price range these motors go for. Our local salvage is asking 1900 and zzp has them new for same price. These salvage yards are nuts and lost there mind. Lol.

Quick Reply: Lots of oil in cyl #3