SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 SS Timing Chain Time - GM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:53 PM

2008 SS Timing Chain Time - GM or aftermarket?

It's time to change the timing chain in my 2008 SS at 91k.. Got the code, rough idle and low vacuum. The car was nice enough to do it in my driveway when I got home from a short drive so I shut it off and haven't tried to start it again. I'll pull the valve cover and check the chain for slop to confirm but assuming that's it.

Question: Is there an aftermarket chain kit that is worth installing over the GM? While I do have the power upgrade, I haven't and don't plan to do anything else to it. It has plenty of power for my needs. But 90k seems a bit earlier than I would like.

Also, I was going to do the balance shaft chain and water pump/thermostat while I am there. I haven't heard much about the balance shaft chain going early (define early!) but again, since I am there ... I have the manuals and tools so it's just a matter of getting started.

Any input appreciated.

Terry
Old 09-26-2019, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to include "the code".
Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 AM

Yes, it would be good to share the code, you didn't mention if you had the rattle.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Dont use any aftermarket staff for that job. Factory timing chain kit only.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Not, necessarily - Oldblue has some great links for the aftermarket chain kits and the other items such as water pumps/adjusters/etc. etc. that are well-proven and match the OEM parts in quality and durability.

Hopefully Oldblue will post them here shortly.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Jit

I am currently replacing them and have gone with cloyes. You have to get a kit for balance chain and one for timing. They have a great youtube video for disassembling and reassembling.

You have to also buy vvt cam sprockets or phasers separately and one of the gears on the crank.

I would also suggest the water pump as well due to ease of access if youre already changing timing chains.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 PM
Administrator

9-4201SX for the timing chain kit and 9-4202SX for the balance shaft chain.
They do not include the gears , the cam gears won’t really need replacement at this mileage
RockAuto offers us a discount code .
The valve and front cover gaskets are reusable, just be gentle when removing the covers.
I highly recommend installing one of these in place of the weak front guide top bolt

https://zzperformance.com/products/e...ain-guide-bolt

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/
Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 AM

Sorry folks, P0017.

Thanks for the input JIT/Oldblue. I appreciate it. I was going to go with the Cloyes kit but was wondering if there was some cosmic reason to stay with GM. I've used Cloyes on many engines with no issues. I'll toss in the guide bolt too. I just want to be prepared once I open it up. I already found various videos on the install but thanks for posting the link. I'll do a close inspection on the balance shaft chain and guides.

As for the rattle, no. Just the P0017, low vacuum and rough idle. But again, it showed up when I got home and was sitting there idling. I notice it and grabbed the scanner and pulled the code. I shut it off and didn't tempt fate. I knew this day was coming and was already familiar with it.

Terry

Last edited by terryk; 10-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Perhaps the cam solenoids for the VVT are tired , being a decade old?
but I don’t think it’s just them.
change both chains , the balance shaft chain will feel it needs attention if you leave it in there, and you’ll have dirty hands twice !

P0016 , on mine was the timing chain off a tooth, do not start your HHR , if it skipped a tooth, the front guide is damaged and the chain is stretched.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:27 AM

I already got the intermittent intake cam solenoid codes and changed both at 75k.

Quick Reply: 2008 SS Timing Chain Time - GM or aftermarket?