SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

New SS TSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Founding Member

New SS TSB

#08-06-04-034: LNF Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), Check Engine Light Illuminated with One or More of the Following DIagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0096, P0335, P0806, P2199, P2261 (Reprogram ECM) - (Jun 12, 2008)
LNF Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), Check Engine Light Illuminated with One or More of the Following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0096, P0335, P0806, P2199, P2261 (Reprogram ECM)
Models: 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS
with ECOTEC® 2.0L I-4 Cylinder Turbocharged Engine (VIN X -- RPO LNF)

Condition

Some customers may comment on Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), Check Engine Light Illumination. Typically, there will be no driveability symptoms or engine performance concerns.
Upon further investigation, one or more of the following DTCs may be stored in the ECM:
• DTC P0096: Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 2 Performance
• DTC P0335: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit
• DTC P0806: Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Sensor Circuit Performance
• DTC P2199: Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1-2 Correlation
• DTC P2261: Turbocharger Bypass Valve Stuck Closed

Correction

If routine diagnosis using SI does not reveal any obvious cause, Do Not replace the following components :
• Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor for DTC P0096 or P2199
• Crankshaft Sensor for DTC P0335
• Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Sensor for P0806
• Turbocharger Bypass Valve for DTC P2261
Important: Verify that the 12-volt battery has a battery charge of 12 to 16 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use approved Midtronics 165-PCS charger or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Important: Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen. The J2534 MDI will reprogram the modules in less time than the Tech 2® scan tool.
Reprogram the ECM using the latest calibration if the above concern is encountered. A revised engine calibration has been developed to address these issues. Reprogram the ECM with the latest software calibration. The service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
• DTC P2261: Turbocharger Bypass Valve Stuck Closed
So, if the engine doesn't asplode due to boost creep, it could just be the MIL lying to you?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Hmmm... I had a engine light come on in my SS this morning. It was the first time it didn't start on the first crank. Seemed strange with it cranking away for 3 seconds or so after I let go of the key!

When I tried it again it started, but seemed like it was running a little rough at first and it had a message on the display saying "Reduced engine Power". The engine symbol was illuminated as well.
Shut it off again and I checked the code with my actron OBDII code reader. It was • DTC P0335: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit. I did not reset the code as I want it to be there when I take it to the dealer.

When I restarted it the message was gone, but the light was still on. Took it for a drive and it seemes normal... I was going to drive it to Rockford today, but now unsure.

Only significant thing I did yesterday since I drove it last is the battery was run down when I was listening to the XM radio while working outside. The radio started cutting in/out and I hooked up my charger to it for a few hrs. before I put it away for the night. I never restarted it till this morning. I wonder if this temp. power loss had anything to do with it? ChevyMgr, any feelings on that?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Did some reading up on this and I saw that the engine light will reset with 4 sucessive good ignition cyles. Went out and started it up again and it went away! At least I feel better about driving it today.

Looks like I will take to the dealer tomorrow or Tues. to see about having the ECM reprogrammed to eliminate the cances of this happening again.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 PM

The first SS I was going to buy had a check engine light problem. The Dealer ordered one part for it and it didn't fix it. When hey had to order another part I decided to find another one. I bet this was the problem.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM

On June 1 at 1100 miles on the clock, I got a CEL on the way home and when I tried to start the car later, it would not crank, nothing at all happened, no turnover nothing, I got it to crank later that day and Onstar said it was a clutch position sensor malfunction, so I had it towed to the dealer and got it back 2 days later supposedly fixed.

Yesterday, with 2200 onthe clock, I got another CEL, called Onstar before I parked it, and sure enough, clutch position sensor again.

If I read this right it's probably not actually the sensor but the ECU that needs a reprogram to fix this?

It hasn't failed to crank SO FAR this time. But it pisses me off that a new car is less reliable than my 21 year old Buick is, which has yet to fail to crank for me in over a year of driving it.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Well dealer kept it for 2 days and found nothing wrong and they said on June 1 they put the latest ECU update on the car at that time, anyone in the "know" know if that were possible or has the ECU programming been updated since June 1? It gave ANOTHER engine light yesterday in stop&go city traffic and it was again, clutch position sensor. No cranking issues though.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Grimster
Well dealer kept it for 2 days and found nothing wrong and they said on June 1 they put the latest ECU update on the car at that time, anyone in the "know" know if that were possible or has the ECU programming been updated since June 1? It gave ANOTHER engine light yesterday in stop&go city traffic and it was again, clutch position sensor. No cranking issues though.
I know if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal ever so slightly it will throw that code in a corvette.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I know if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal ever so slightly it will throw that code in a corvette.
What years? I've never had this DTC in my Z06.