Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   No cruise, No ESC, Service ESC (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/no-cruise-no-esc-service-esc-18024/)

esmarkey 09-04-2008 10:54 AM

No cruise, No ESC, Service ESC

This has now happened twice and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or any ideas?
A couple of months ago my cruise control would not engage. I just thought I would take it to the dealer, but after shutting it down and restarting it, it started working again. So, a couple of weeks ago when the cruise wouldn't engage again I shut the engine down and restarted at a stop sign ( I may still have been rolling a little bit). After the restart, the "Service ESC" message came on, then went to "NO ESC". The orange triangle lit up and stayed lit. I tried shutting down and resarting several times but got the same. Again, I thought a trip to the dealer but after an extended shut down I got no warnings and everything worked!
Yesterday it did the same thing, but this morning everything is fine :confused:
My fear is that I take it to the dealer and everything works, they won't be able to figure it out.
Any ideas?

hyperv6 09-04-2008 11:12 AM

It may have left a code in the computer so they can find what is going on.

It sounds like a sensor at the hub is going bad?

jerSSey HHR 09-04-2008 11:14 AM

I hope you don't get the dreaded "could not reproduce problem" from the dealer.

ChevyMgr 09-04-2008 12:56 PM

Cruise control won't work with a ESC, TRAC, ABS or CEL message/light on. By restarting the vehicle you are doing the same as rebooting your home PC. There is still a problem that needs to be fixed and codes should be present to assist in the repair.

esmarkey 09-04-2008 01:03 PM

THe ESC warning did not come until AFTER the cruise didn't work AND AFTER I restarted. Is there a minimum time I must shut down to reset everything? Just wondering why all is fine after an extended shutdown?

ChevyMgr 09-04-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey (Post 308740)
THe ESC warning did not come until AFTER the cruise didn't work AND AFTER I restarted. Is there a minimum time I must shut down to reset everything? Just wondering why all is fine after an extended shutdown?

My over the internet guess is that you have a wiring issue, possibly at the fuse box under the hood. Try tapping/thumping the side of the box and see if the light/message comes on.

No minimum time on the restart. It may be that when you shut the door you are moving the bad wiring/connector and the problem disappears until the next time it gets moved by a bump or by motion.

If you are under warranty take it to the dealer. It should have codes from the lights being on.

jerSSey HHR 09-04-2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 308754)

If you are under warranty take it to the dealer. It should have codes from the lights being on.

I would hope everyone that owns an SS is still under warranty! :lol:

bigpapa_76 09-04-2008 04:43 PM

I had the same problem with my cruise control it wouldn't engage. This is what I found out check you brake lights and third brake light if one of them is out the cruise will not engage or make sure that the wires are plugin securely.

dpoll995 09-04-2008 08:25 PM

make sure all the fuses under the hood and pushed all the way in. my message display screen went out one day, i checked the fuses and some of them were loose, after i pushed them in everthing was fine.

esmarkey 09-05-2008 07:47 AM

Thanks for the info, I will check the fuses/fusebox for loose stuff, then I will mention it when I take it in for other warranty work.