SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Oil in the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM

Unhappy Oil in the radiator

I seen this today and I have been losing a small amount of fluid. The owners manual stated that the overflow tank could need fluid up to 4 times a year.

There is no sign of water in the oil and the car was still in spec for what GM calls for: 1 qt per 2k miles!

Now I'm over the 100K Warranty and this could have been going on for a long time.

So my question is what could be the possible causes, and how do I go about finding it?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Fast guess....head gasket.

But it still does not answer your question regarding the disappearing coolant. I would think it would provide some indication in the oil.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Fast guess....head gasket.

But it still does not answer your question regarding the disappearing coolant. I would think it would provide some indication in the oil.
Usually the oil will look like a milkshake. Not good.

I'd find out just wtf is going on before I would contine driving it thats for sure.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Doesn't the SS have a water cooled oil cooler? That's about the only way I can think of that direction, head gasket should go the other way (coolant to oil). Pints of disappearing coolant + carbon in tail pipe + coolant in oil pan says (chocolate colored oil) + foam inside the oil filler + discolored spark plug insulators + water puddles (not just spots) under exhaust after idling says "head gasket". Ounces of disappearing coolant, not so bad.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM

There are too many things it could be to guess on the web. It could be simple or it could be major.

Head gaskets are the most common thing. The real thing to do is get it to a shop where they can do several test to check the condition of things like head gaskets and other issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM

I don't think it is a head gasket...no bubbles when ran with the cap off.
How do these turbos work? water cooled but could they crack or leak oil into the cooling line?
Is there an oil cooler in the radiator?

The crank case oil looks perfect. And the car seems to run just fine.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 1900colt
How do these turbos work? water cooled but could they crack or leak oil into the cooling line?

If I were you, I'd get it IN to a Shop or the Dealer to TEST it. ASAP. STAT. NOW!

Could be an easy fix, or it could be something that at any moment could let loose and TRASH your motor.

Why take that chance?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM

I'll take it in, just was hoping for something easy to look for and some idea of what this is going to cost.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM

This sounds wildly familiar... https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/overheating-29601/ (post #103).

When I first got my 2009 SS, I noticed that every few months I needed to add a few ounces of coolant. Just figured that it was normal. A few weeks ago, my thermostat decided to fail 'closed' and at the time, I noticed the coolant tank was empty and the engine was overheating. I took it to the dealer and he informed me that one of my heater hoses was leaking (although I had never seen any spots on the driveway). I had them replace both of them, as they are in a tight place (most expensive two hoses I've had replaced) and they replaced the thermostat under warranty.

The next day, after going round trip to school (90mi round trip), I checked the level in the tank and it was empty. I took it back to the dealer, realizing it must have had to burp more air, and had him top it off. The very next, it was again empty. I figured maybe they had not opened the heater valve when they 'fixed' it, I topped it off. After a few days of running back and forth... I checked the tank, it was mostly empty. I took it back to the dealer and asked them to find my leak (that's where post #107 comes in).

All I can figure is maybe a coolant line going to or from the turbo was leaking and boiling it off, hence no spotting or puddles ever noticed. They would not talk specifics about what was found the second time I brought it back for overheating (I think it was their screw-up, as they did not charge me troubleshooting labor). I have not noticed any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil (the filter issue seems to be isolated for the cold-start issue).

If you're savvy, pull the spark plugs as mentioned and maybe take a compression test while cold. Once it heats up, it may seal a leaking head gasket.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1900colt

"Bubbles with the cap off" is an old school check used back in the old days.
With todays modern cars and engine designs this is not a reliable way to diagnois this problem.
First off, you don't need to keep driving it with this problem. You could trash the motor as noted above.
Get it checked out to find out the cause and remedy.
My bets on the head gasket and/or cracked warped head.

Quick Reply: Oil in the radiator