SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Over boost code solution questions !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Thanks RJ! I thought I saw them both somewhere but I'll pull them out, check and go from there. And thanks for the link to the pic. Like my 86 GN, it takes vac to keep it out of boost so if I am not getting boost, then I would think vac is leaking through somewhere keeping the WG closed. I wish they hadn't buried the WG solenoid. :)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:10 PM

I replaced the solenoid on the turbo. Since it's an intermittent problem I won't know if it fixed the problem but at least it still works.

I had a subtle surge that does seem to be gone though. After I get some hours on it I will know for sure.There was nothing obvious wrong with the solenoid. No cracks or leaks that I could find. I also checked the vac tank and that appears to be fine. We will see. The WG nuts weren't loose either.

To reiterate what others have said about replacing it:

1. The old hose clamps will break taking them off. Have some spares. You need six and I only got four with the replacement solenoid. I wouldn't try using any of the old clamps even if they don't break.
2. I had to remove the mounting tab on one side. The BW replacement won't fit otherwise. Maybe if you rotate it but I don't think it will.
3. I had to replace it from the bottom of the car. Some very long needle nose pliers help tons. It's out in the open but it's a long reach up there.
4. Connect the bottom hose of the solenoid to it's vacuum line first, then the top hose then the curved hose to the WG and then screw the solenoid to the turbo. If you screw the solenoid to the turbo first it's a tough reach to get to that bottom hose curved up to it's vacuum connection. You can't get two hands in there (maybe with a lift.)

TK

Last edited by terryk; 12-04-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 PM

It's gone far longer without losing or overboosting. So far so good. Steering intermediate shaft is starting to clunk. You'd think this thing was a Silverado! Easy fix. Links and SB bushings are fine.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:28 PM

Did I add that I'm not boosting to 20 like I should for stage 1? I will be replacing with stock GM solenoid in the Spring.