Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   Rear Shocks (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/rear-shocks-54141/)

Crazy Canuck 06-29-2015 08:57 PM

Rear Shocks

I Have a 2009 Panel SS with 205,000 km on it. I do need to replace the rear shocks. Any suggestions for a premium set of rear shocks?

whopper 06-30-2015 12:31 AM

If they are the original shocks, yeah they are probably about shot. Have you given the rear of the car a bounce test to check the action of the shocks, and to test for noise, or looked at them to see if they are leaking?

Oldblue 06-30-2015 02:07 PM

KYB's I put a set on 120,000 klms ago, still ride smooth and no bouncy bounce!
I'd consider a set of front struts if they are OEM!

truvoice1 08-18-2015 12:36 PM

Rear shocks for the SS

My 08 SS has almost 110k and I think it is time to replace the rear shocks and the front struts; mainly because it feels like the ride has degraded to the point where we are feeling every bump in the road.

My question is who else besides AC/Delco and KYB make shocks and/or struts for the SS? I have found the AC/Delco parts for a very good price on Amazon, but I can't really find any other brands worth considering besides the KYB. Does anyone know who actually makes the shocks and struts for AC/Delco?

I won't use Monroe because I have had very poor results using them on other vehicles in the past. And, I would jump at the chance to put a set of Bilsteins or other premium shock if available.

I would like to improve the ride quality, if possible, while still maintaining the all important flat cornering ability.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!

Oldblue 08-18-2015 12:58 PM

Not 100 % but I believe Bilstein makes the FE5 shocks

whopper 08-18-2015 01:31 PM

Bilstein B6 struts - says compatible with LS/LT and the SS - Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty Series 35-114642 - Strut | O'Reilly Auto Parts

and Bilstein B6 rear shocks - Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty Series 24-118576 - Shock Absorber | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Being they fit the 3 different models they may be a slight downgrade for the SS?????

(with that said, the Bilstein catalog doesn't show the HHR at all - http://www.bilstein.de/fileadmin/use...015_GB_low.pdf)

truvoice1 08-18-2015 03:19 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I have my neighborhood O'Reilly's checking on the prices of the part numbers you posted. Hopefully their prices won't be too outrageous!

Oh, BTW, I was able to pull up the rear shocks application listing on the Bilstein web site but not the front struts. A search for the struts resulted in 'part # not found'. However, it was listed on the O'Reilly's site. Very strange. I hope that Bilstein has not decided to discontinue making them. Thanks again

Oldblue 08-18-2015 05:45 PM

I checked Caraid and Summit racing they both have package deals

hhrawy 08-21-2015 02:35 PM

These are not cheap.

Koni makes a set for the colbalt and they work well for the HHR. They are Koni Yellows and are adjustable for rebound. The rears just bolt in. The fronts are a cartridge so you have to cut apart the old ones drill a hole on the bottom for a retaining bolt. To adjust the rear unbolt the rear compress all the way then turn lower body. Front shocks can be adjusted from the engine bay. I have these in my 06.

Grizzly old man 08-21-2015 03:50 PM

I bought some of the cheapest rear shocks I could find on eBay because I am cheap. Well perhaps not cheap but broke all the time, seems to be a correlation,...

Anyway I was very surprised that it seems to have taken a lot of frontend wobble out of my car. Not really sure why. I put new wheel cylinders and all new hardware and shoes in it about a year and a half ago.

While I had the car jacked up to work on the shocks I popped the wheels off and took a look at the rear shoes just to satisfy my mind that they did not need to be replaced yet and to make sure the self adjusters were still working.

I was happy to see that my new hardware still looked like new after a quick blast of brake cleaner. The self adjusters are still working mighty fine. I know that having the rear brakes working properly makes a big difference in having the front end playing nice when your driving.