SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Replaced Starter, HHR SS Still Won't Start

Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM

This video can help you understand starter problems

Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Hey all,

I won’t be able to get to the car until later this week or the weekend. I’ll keep you all posted. Thanks for all of the help so far.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Hey Everyone,

I tested the new starter and it's good. I wasn't able to work on the car as much this weekend as I had to do some work on my wife's CR-V that we are getting ready to sell.

I'll be able to look at the car again tonight. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 PM

Hey all,

I’ve not been able to work on the car for three weeks. There was a death in the family that required me to take care of a number of things; it’s been a long month, to say the least. . I’ll be able to get to the car this weekend. My apologies for the delay.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Our condolences, family comes before the HHR, take care now.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Our condolences, family comes before the HHR, take care now.
You got that right !
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Update

My brother and I were able to test a number of things on the car this weekend. The battery tested good and held a charge, connections that folks on this site suggested to check (from what I could tell) seemed to look good, The new starter was installed correctly and was getting power, we didn't find any shorts, the alternator tested good; we disconnected the battery to "reset" the computer to factory settings and still no start. It was then that the electronics in the car started acting abnormally, the CEL was now turned on (it hadn't been before) and the HUD was flashing the following messages: "Service ESC", "Service Brake System", "ESC Disabled", and "Service Airbag".

At that point I realized my mechanical know-how was done... on Monday (9/24)I had the car towed to the local mechanic that we trust and does good work. The mechanic called me today said that the fuse box was fried and would need to be replaced ($$$); at least he figured out what went out. But, and this is the reason for this post, the mechanic couldn't figure how or why the fuse box had shorted out. The mechanic's best guess was that the new starter that I put on somehow shorted out and/or fried the fuse box; he wasn't quite sure and I replied that I didn't think that was possible. So, have any of you ever run into that? Where a starter can damage the fuse box? I've never heard of that...there has to be some other part of the system that has failed for that to happen, right? The mechanic did say the new starter did test correctly when off the car...but that it "appeared" to be bad when hooked up to the car. I trust this mechanic and he has a very good reputation among local gearheads in the area....so I'm not inclined to think he's being deceitful or negligent. I'm going to follow up with him tomorrow and see what is going on.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Also, if you have any clarifying questions, please don't hesitate to ask them....I was trying to accurately describe the situation. Thanks, all.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know what he could possibly be saying "the new starter did test correctly when off the car...but that it "appeared" to be bad when hooked up to the car"; There is an always hot wire and a solenoid trigger wire, it is grounded by the mounting bolts. Either the motor runs or it doesn't; either the solenoid engages or it doesn't.

If it is a bad fuse box you can get a used one for $15, anybody that knows which end of a screwdriver is the hammer could change it out in 30 minutes.

I am suspecting the outside connections to the fuse box. the front one should have 2 wires, both red one goes to the battery ane goes to the starter. The rear one has 1 wire, it goes to the electronic power steering.

May we assume that the battery was disconnected when the starter was replaced? Did anything cause an arc on the front connection? Have you checked the 50A maxi-fuse near the battery?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:57 AM

Update

donbrew,

The fuse off of the battery was good, the battery was properly disconnected when the old starter was taken off and replaced, and there wasn’t any arc on the front connection when we were working on it.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 PM

How about ground wires? I don't know the details, but a bad ground could certainly derail you...