SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Reverse gear grinding on 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM

My 2009 HHR SS 5 Speed makes a grinding noise most of the time when I shift it into reverse even though my clutch is completely depressed to the floor. The transmission does not grind at all when I shift it into the other gears. I have noticed this problem for a while and my car currently has about 40k miles on it.

Lately, I have found that if I move the gear shift as far to the right as I can with a little pressure it seems to help and either relieves the grinding or prevents it entirely.

When I thought about it, I suspected a bad cable, but my mechanic told me the stick shift was linked to the transmission with rods. How can I fix this problem? Is it an adjustment and is it easy enough to do myself?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Better enlighten your mechanic. It's cables, not rods.

Sounds like you either have a cable issue or possibly a worn shifter. The SS shifter has plastic bushings where the shifter rod/ball pivots. They can wear or even fail and cause the problem you describe.

Also, the cables ends have a snap in latch location by the shifter. If the cable end is not secured there, it can flex and pull out of the latch and cause the same problem.

If you can't find the problem yourself, I would advise finding another tech or shop who are familiar with the SS.

This thread has a picture that shows the cables and the plastic snap latches.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...85/#post488631
Old 05-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Deceased

One other thing to consider is a failing slave cylinder on the clutch. Sometimes when they begin to fail, the first symptom can be a "graunch" or grinding noise when engaging first or reverse gear.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Reverse gear grinding on 5 Speed

First of all, thanks for all your replies. I asked my mechanic if it could be a problem with the cable, and he replied that rods were used as linkage instead of cables on the HHR. Guess he was off a bit! I am going to bring the car to a transmission shop and see what they think. If there is a problem with the slave cylinder I am really going to be disappointed with the car because it only has 40K on it. In addition to trans problem, I just had the struts replaced because they were leaking.

When I get the car back from the transmission shop I will post my results.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM

HHR SS manual problem with shifting

I have an 2009 HHR SS with 46000 miles on it. Lately I have been noticing problems when shifting into reverse and sometimes 3rd gear. When I first start the car, I get an occasional grinding noise when I shift into reverse. Also, I notice when I am on the highway, I sometimes have problems shifting into 3rd gear. After seeing some comments on a car for sale on the internet (An HHR SS with about 50K), the owner noted that there is a known problem with a shifter cable when these cars with manual transmissions hit about 50K.

Earlier on, someone on this message board suggested that it might be a problem with the hydraulic clutch assembly. I took the car to my local trans shop and they said the clutch seemed fine.

Has anybody heard of similar problem? Do you think I can have the shift cable replaced if I just ask the dealer to do so without any song and dance? Has anyone else heard of this problem on the HHR SS before?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

I think we already had this conversation before in your previous thread.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...5-speed-50509/
You never updated it back then, so I'll just stick with my earlier suggestions.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Shifting issues.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am sorry, but I must of missed some of the info in one of the threads. Going to start by pulling off the tray when I a chance, but I may not be able to get to it this week.

I am really hoping its a cable issue because having to replace the parts on the hydraulic clutch linkage would no doubt run more money. My mechanic at the transmission shop was pushing for me to have the clutch changed as well, but it really seems wasteful. It may take about a week to get to someone else to get a second opinion, but I hope its the shift linkage instead of the clutch linkage.

It's been a few thousands miles since I noticed the problem, so I think I am going to seriously look into and get it fixed. A bit disappointed that I having these issues with less than 50K, but I still like car for now at least!

One other thing, its nice to know that shift knob is threaded and not on compression fit on my old Jeep. At least I can change the shift boot myself. I managed to spot the info in the other thread.

Thanks Again!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Technical Moderator

Threads merged so I don't get anymore confused.

It makes more sense to ask and answer in the same thread!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:57 PM

I tried to get the shift cover off, but the plastic clips would only release in the back portion. Right now, the car is at the dealer for an ignition switch recall that went not so well, and I am waiting for the dealers assessment on what he thinks is wrong with the tranny. As soon as the ignition switch is fixed the dealer will look a the tranny for me. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your help!