Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   Revs up by itself between shifts? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/revs-up-itself-between-shifts-14468/)

Nebulous1 04-15-2008 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, Scott Burgess of the Detroit News phrased it like this:

“The owner's manual should put it like this: Keep it floored, push the clutch in, shift, release the clutch. Screech with delight like a little girl.” :lol:

ChevyMgr 04-15-2008 04:03 PM

LT1GMC, what model of HHR do you have?

ivtech 04-15-2008 04:48 PM

I believe he has an SS.

LT1GMC 04-15-2008 06:27 PM

Yes, this is an SS. This isn't happening during full throttle shifts, its during normal driving. When the engine is stone cold it may do it, but especially after waiting and idling a while, or on a hot restart, like after you come out from the store and take off. I am thinking it is emissions related, as to feed extra air into the engine and cat during a certain overheat condition, but I am thinking it is this condition that is in error, and thats why it happens all the time. I want to have more info before taking it to the dealer, as I hate the "they all do it" bs, thats why I am asking here. I believe its pretty abnormal for you to let off the gas at 4500 rpm and it stay there for 5-7 seconds. There was a warning I got one nite when it cranked a long time before starting, you guys know it will crank by itself once you turn and release the key? I got a "reduced engine power" warning on the panel for a few seconds while or just after starting. Just a one time thing, but maybe its related.

c2vette 04-15-2008 09:34 PM

This has got to be wrong. I have about 4500 miles on my 5 speed, in temperatures from 28 deg F to 98 deg F and never had anything like what you describe.

Eaglesnest 04-15-2008 10:02 PM

You're not crazy mine does the same thing. It is annoying as hell, I wish they would do a reprogram on it. I guess I will just leave it in launch control all the time and drive it like I stole it.:D

PDW23 04-15-2008 10:07 PM

I have been experiencing this since I got mine. It does it mostly at slow speeds for me, like 25 - 35 mph, usually when cold and only happens when going 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I have to wait about 4 -5 seconds for it to stop revving. Car has 4500 miles on it.

chevyguy 04-15-2008 10:09 PM

I have almost 600 miles on mine and haven't experienced this. Just curious, have you tried a different mode with the traction control? Maybe turn it off and see what happens?

LT1GMC 04-16-2008 06:06 AM

This is with traction control in its normal mode. I do have an idea though: When I first got the car, when the engine was cold I could hear a electric motor running under the hood for a few minutes, this is the AIR pump, air injection pump, for emissions reasons it pumps air in the exhaust at certain times to help "light off" the catalytic converter. What I noticed is that it was VERY Noisy compared to the other cars that I have that have that pump. I am no longer hear that noise, and I now have the reving problem.
Humm, maybe that AIR pump motor was going bad, and now quit, causing the PCM to raise rpm during shifts to compensate? (high rpm during no load shifting, or idling would mean more air thru engine) No check engine light, but not all faults cause a light.

ChevyMgr 04-16-2008 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 256305)
LT1GMC, what model of HHR do you have?

Originally Posted by ivtech (Post 256315)
I believe he has an SS.

Oh, then I would say it is normal based on my experience driving other SS's. If GM comes out and states it is a problem and they have a fix I will post that when it occurs.