Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   "Service ESC" message (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/service-esc-message-29027/)

speedster 05-02-2010 07:36 AM

Greetings Allex
The fluid is fine, no brake job done as the car has about 4000 miles on it. Underneith the car is dry. I met another hhr owner at the college, he says his does the same, he thinks its because it has "electric brakes".
Does he mean "brake module" .. i dont know.

Mowgli 05-02-2010 09:41 AM

It sounds like our cars have the same issues.

My brakepedal stops me in the morning but doesn't act right until the car's warmed up.
The first few times I use it it goes to the height it usualy does but then pushes lower quickly a couple of inches feeling wrong.
It stops me but feels wrong.
It's been doing that since I got it, the colder out it is the more pronounced the effect.

I know what it needs and will get it fixed when I get around to it.
They add an Auxiliary Vacuum Pump
Here's one of the threads pertaining to it

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=brake+pump

jerry455 05-02-2010 07:53 PM

I work at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI. The other day there was an e-mail to any employee with 09 hhr with esc message, they want to look at car. There is a new engineering group that looks at fixing these problems quickly. I have a 09 hhr ls but I have never had that message show up. It just turned 8,000 miles the other day, has been perfect, no problems. Keep checking with your dealer as GM is looking to fix this. This group has been checking for problems in ways that are new to GM such as internet forums and such. They are serious about changing the company and being more responsive to the customer. Be patient there still are a lot of enthusiast thats still work here and we drive the same products that you do. This is a great idea that they are doing this like Ed Whitacre says this is a new company. It seems that there is people higher up that are open to more feed back about the product than the previous management.

mightymouse 05-14-2010 09:03 PM

been having this message for about 3 weeks or so,so i finally took it in wed. today they told me they are going to replace the steering colmn. WTF??? has this problem been solved???? (the esc)

acolddark0 05-14-2010 09:43 PM

I drive my SS everyday and have been to NC 3 or 4 times since I had my esc message pop up. (I'm from MES) my dealer put air in the tires and told me that's what the problem was. Since then I have not had the esc message pop up. Try that, if nothing else you'll have fully inflated tires. Lol

billeesy 09-06-2011 01:45 AM

Hopefully this will help someone. Today I decided to adjust my toe on my front left tire, in which I did. I was experiencing pulling to the left when I was in the left lanes, anyways I ended up adjusting too much and my steering wheel was off balance. I drove about a mile when my service esc message came on. I adjust my toe back the other way until my wheel was balanced again and then drove it for about a mile and came back home. I turned it off and then turned the key on until just the radio and lights was on and I noticed the esc message was not there anymore. I started it up and yes it was indeed gone. so a long story short. your wheel alignment could be causing the service ESC message. I was very glad thats all it was.

BADASS55 10-26-2013 04:48 PM

I replaced the power steering motor on my 2009 HHR. and Now it works Great but when I start the car and take off about 25 miles per hour The ESC Light come on. Is the anyway you can reset the ESC light so it gos off. can anyone help me please

BADASS55 10-26-2013 07:18 PM

Is there anyone out there that can help me

BADASS55 10-26-2013 07:24 PM

My friend put a new power steering motor in my 2009 hhr. He pull the hole steering wheel out and took the steering wheel off of the shaft then he put the new motor on. Then he put everthing back in. I took it for a ride and now the esc light came on how do you reset it. Could he knock the steering wheel out of alignment is that wy the esc light is staying on. And .

firemangeorge 10-26-2013 08:20 PM

If your friend pulled the "whole steering wheel out and the steering wheel off" that's probably the root of your problem. Sounds like he left something unplugged or reinstalled incorrectly. What exactly, I'm not sure.
You don't have to pull the column to replace the electric power steering motor. It is replaced by getting at it from under the dash. It is a very easy job to do. 30-45 minutes at most.
Unfortunatley, it sounds like your friend didn't know how to do this repair correctly.
Just resetting the light is not answer. You need to find out exactly what your friend did wrong on the install.