SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Having problems mounting rear calipers after replacing rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 04:40 PM

Having problems mounting rear calipers after replacing rotors and pads

I'm in the process of replacing the rear rotors and brake pads on my '08 SS and I'm having a heck of a time getting the rear piston assembly back on. I rotated the piston back in until it wouldn't go in any further and mounted the part that holds the pads back on the axle and pushed the pads as tight to the rotor as I could get them but I'm having a real tough time getting the piston part to slide on over the pads to where the bolt holes line up so I can get the 14 mm mounting bolts started.

How far are you supposed to be able to get the piston to go back into the caliper? I got it spun back to a point where the piston was still protruding maybe 3 mm out of the caliper. I couldn't get it to go back any further than that. Are you supposed to be able to get it to go all the way back to where it sits flush with the caliper?

Those rods or tubes with the dust boots that the 14 mm bolts screw into, are they supposed to be able to move? They are rigid on the caliper I'm currently working with. I haven't taken the other caliper apart to compare how it works to the first one I took off to replace the pads and rotor. It's been a fair while since I last worked on those rear brakes so I can't remember if those tubes with the dust boots were supposed to be able to move or not. If they're supposed to be able to move then they appear to be seized on that caliper.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:53 PM

I went back out to the garage and took the caliper off the other side. The guide pins or whatever you call them move in and out of the caliper bracket quite easily so this other one is seized right up solid. Can't move those guide pins for love nor money. I'm hoping I can get the bracket on its own and don't have to replace the whole caliper. I remember now that I got the working (passenger side) rear caliper bracket off a Cobalt at Pick 'n Pull. The one that's seized now is original. If any one can supply the part number for that driver's side rear caliper bracket on my '08 SS, I'd appreciate it. The question about how far back into the caliper I should be able to get the piston to go still stands.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32 PM
Administrator

The rear caliper brackets are long obsolete for the 2008-2010 HHR SS , I see Cardone remanufactured parts listed in the RockAuto site ,
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+bracket,1714

the piston should turn back into the caliper flush to the caliper with the dust boot flat across the surface
Old 11-01-2022, 06:49 PM

It's looking like I cannot get the caliper bracket on its own from any of the local part shops. I'd have to buy the complete caliper which means I'd have to bleed the brakes. Really don't want to do that. There are lots of Chevy Cobalts and Malibus, Pontiac G6s and Pursuits and Saturn Ions in my local Pick 'n Pulls. A lot of them recently added to the yard. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a good used not seized up caliper bracket there like I did last time. I know that rear caliper bracket is common to 2005 - 2008 Cobalts but is that all trims or just some of them. If just some of them, which ones?
Old 11-01-2022, 07:52 PM

Okay, by cross-checking what's in my local Pick 'n Pull and Rock Auto's parts lists I've found out a number of useful things:

The same rear caliper/caliper bracket was used in all 2008 - 2010 HHR SS. I assume that's just the Non-Brembo SS cars but someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
It can also be found in '05 - '08 Cobalts but they must either be the 2.4 L or Supercharged SS models (maybe Turbos too).
They CANNOT be found in any 2.2L Cobalts, Pontiac G6s or Pursuits or Saturn Ions. They can, however, be found in a 2005 - 10 Pontiac G6 with the 3.5L 12V V6 engine and '07 - '09 G5s with either a 2.2L or 2.4L engine.

Perhaps the easiest model to find those same rear brakes in are Malibus. For those, 2004 - 12 is the year range and it appears they can be found in both the 2.2L LT2, LT1 and LT models and the 3.5L LT2 models.

There are several Malibus, a Cobalt and one G6 that should have the correct rear caliper bracket in the PnP yard nearest to me and I think several other cars in the other PnP that's in town but a little further away from me. Looks like I'll be heading to PnP tomorrow, Too bad it will be in the middle of a snowstorm . Yuck!

Last edited by DangerBoy; 11-06-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Brackets art just metal castings that have a couple of machined surfaces, trhey don't seize up or wear out.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:08 PM

@donbrew The brackets have the slide pins with bellows going into them. On the rear caliper bracket that's original to my car (driver's side) both slide pins are seized up solid. The bracket on the other side was replaced with a part obtained from PnP (from a Malibu I think) and the slide pins both slide smoothly and easily. I need to replace that seized up bracket with one with smooth sliding slide pins.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:09 PM
Technical Moderator

The service manual says there are bolts into the guide pins. Once the bolts are out you can destroy the pins and get new ones.

Last edited by donbrew; 11-01-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:39 PM

And only the SS got rear disc brakes.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:46 AM
Administrator

There are kits available for new pins
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lide+pin,10281

Quick Reply: Having problems mounting rear calipers after replacing rotors and pads