SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

suspension woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM

suspension woes

Hey all

need some help as i am about to lose my cool with the suspension on my SS.
swapped out my sway bar bushings for the energy suspension poly greasable's
took my control arms out and replaced the rear bushings and ball joints with Moog parts, correct parts i might add thanks to this site!
swapped out my end links with moog greasable ones
did rotor and pads up front

my issue started with major brake judder, due to the LCA bushings. after i swapped out all of the above in a day, brake judder is gone good to say..
BUT
now it sounds like i have metal slapping metal somewhere up front, when i hit a slight bump, or i really noticed it on some rough gravel the other day. can feel it in the steering wheel, like a shake/shuddering.
WHAT ELSE CAN THIS BE!? to be honest i had the sway bar bushings done about 2 months back to get rid of the sway bar banging the LCA's, but now it kinda sounds like its back.
i was wondering if the tie rods or steering knuckle could be the issue now, any ideas?
i am kinda of anal when it comes to sounds in my car that just dont seem right and it drives me crazy trying to remedy this!!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Technical Moderator

If the sway bar links are banging the LCAs it's because you have the 12" links not 10".

It is possible the sway bar bushings are the wrong size.

It is possible the strut bearings are making noise.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Are your sway bar bushings the 23 mm Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kit for the SS or the 25 mm for the LS/LT ?

Read the description and figment for the correct end link here
http://www.1aauto.com/sway-bar-link-...2/i/mgsmx00003

And the ball joints on the SS are FE 5 specific, read this application notes

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80567

Last edited by Oldblue; 08-12-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 PM

i cant be sure on all the part numbers but i do know this
the sway bar bushings were 9.9519 greasable, energy suspension
the end links were the moogs with the zerk fittings built in, k750428
the LCA busings were moog as well, k6698
the ball joints were moog, k80567 i believe
i checked clearance when i had the wheel off and the LCA was about 1/2" tops from touching the sway bar. I compared my end links with the ones i took off and they were the same length. i am confident i got the right parts, i made sure i greased everything up as well when i was done. i feel there is some play in the steering wheel when stopped, moving it from right to left. is this normal?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM

the moog endlinks are the new style i think cuz the zerks are built into the side of the ball joint and are at like 22.5 degree angle to make it easy to lube them, different from the pic they have on the website even!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM

one thing i noticed when putting the end links on, the bolt seemed to be quite a bit smaller than the hole in the bracket, so i was wondering, even with it torqued down, could the bolt be "moving/sliding" slightly? Also there was one little steel washer in the packaging and no mention of it in the instructions. where would this washer go and why only one?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Technical Moderator

The studs on the links should be at least an interference fit before the nut goes on.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

With the SS you have ABS....correct? With the car raised, check the sway bar for movement from right to left....it may take a hard pull/push. I think the Moog sway bar links, which are generally a larger diameter than OEM, are lightly contacting a brake hose bracket welded to the front strut.

I had this problem on my LT with the SS suspension and Moog end links. Had to slightly file a radius on the bracket. All this was caused by the Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings, which are not an exact replacement for the OEM's (remember the part number is for a universal bushings "fitting" many applications), that allows the bar to move approximately 3/8ths of an inch either direction (to the "stop" on each side of the bar.

I had contacted Energy Suspension about this problem and was advised they have had several complaints about THIS EXACT PROBLEM and offered to refund my cost. I declined because I did resolve the problem with my fix as stated above.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:43 PM

thanks
i will check that when i get home tonight.
i am at 68k on the clock so i dont think it is anything else like struts or mounts, they seem to be fine.
it really concerned me the other day i had my family on a short day vaca, traveling down a gravel driveway you could really feel a "shake" in the steering wheel, and after all these parts i thought this would really tighten things up so to speak
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

A worn intermediate shaft would possibly cause that!

Quick Reply: suspension woes