SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Turbo only work when fuel lite is on

Old 08-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Turbo only work when fuel lite is on

I have a problem last winter to squirrels decided to make my engine compartment the storage facility for pinecones. Once I cleared all the cones everything worked well however when I put fuel in the car the turbo stopped functioning. A reduced power indicator came on. But once the fuel light came back on the indicator shut off and the turbo begin to work. Has anyone have a thought on this
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Hi Orange, to the forums!!

If it only happened once, I would say it's a coincidence. So It's working fine now, but you haven't refueled?

I hope you don't normally run until the fuel light comes on. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. When the fuel level goes that low, it can cause the fuel pump to fail.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:41 PM

No I usually don't run low. But no it's been to the shops and it continues to do the same. Once above the indicator. No turbo once the indicator kites it powers up. They say I need to possibly. Hangs the computer but no guarantees ��
Old 08-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Orange peanut
No I usually don't run low. But no it's been to the shops and it continues to do the same. Once above the indicator. No turbo once the indicator kites it powers up. They say I need to possibly. Hangs the computer but no guarantees ��
Like to try and help but I don't understand the description above.
Maybe it's a translation thing ?

Fwiw. Any time you get a Power Reduced on the dash, it means that an error code or CEL(Check Engine Light) has been triggered by the car's computer. You need to have the codes pulled to determine what is malfunctioning.
Post the codes numbers here in this thread. Numbers only. Like P0001, P0002.
DO NOT post descriptions of those codes because they are sometimes misleading or wrong.
Also, stating the year, mileage, any repairs or mods would help us to help you.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Orange peanut
I'm going to guess that kites was supposed to be lites, and hangs means change. There are no CEL (OBD2) codes stored? I would not expect squirrels to damage a computer. But I would expect that they could damage wires, or maybe an evap line.

But I guess anything is possible. But you really should have codes. If so post up just the code itself, not descriptions. We'll try to help you figure this out.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Technical Moderator

The varmints chewed on wires. 2 of them probably are touching. Or vacuum tubing was chewed or installed incorrectly, like the purge tube got connected to the turbo vac line.