SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Wire soldering question

Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Wire soldering question

Again, as most of you read, my car has nothing but boost issues. So, its in my dealer today.....again.......The tech told me they did solder the wires last time. Turns out he only did the lower sensor. They are going to solder the upper one tomorrow. The upper one should be done too, is that correct?
I hope this fixes the problem because I cant take it anymore. They suggested I simply remove the stage 1 and put it back to stock. I told them they were nuts. I spent money and am not going to just throw it away. I had to overnight the upper wire connector and o-rings so tomorrow it will be soldered. Keep you posted.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

Never had wires solderd. Tech doesn't want me too. So, trying everything elese first. Read the BOV thread, and the surging while ----- thread. Very good info. I have to say, replacing my by-pass spring and O2 sensor change fixed just about everything dealing with this surging crap. When your HHR surges, do you see any change in your boost gauge? I didn't really.

Changed: upper t-map sensor for stage 1, New ECM, New O2 sensor, New by-pass spring, and many wire checks for stage 1. Six visits total......

O2 sensor was done today, and spring was done Tuesday I believe. Everything began to go away beginning Tuesday. All other parts were changed over a peroid of two months.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by redradt25
Never had wires solderd. Tech doesn't want me too. So, trying everything elese first. Read the BOV thread, and the surging while ----- thread. Very good info. I have to say, replacing my by-pass spring and O2 sensor change fixed just about everything dealing with this surging crap. When your HHR surges, do you see any change in your boost gauge? I didn't really.

Changed: upper t-map sensor for stage 1, New ECM, New O2 sensor, New by-pass spring, and many wire checks for stage 1. Six visits total......

O2 sensor was done today, and spring was done Tuesday I believe. Everything began to go away beginning Tuesday. All other parts were changed over a peroid of two months.
I dont have a surging issue............My car just loses all boost when driving.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 AM

soldier the wires, I would trust nothing else.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Having designed military electronics for high-vibration environments, I can say that soldering is usually not the best way to connect wires to a connector where there is vibration. The solder forms a "hard" area which causes the wire to eventually break adjacent to the solder. That is why crimps are used most often , as they inherently form a strain-relief.

If you do solder, try to support the wire with ties or a hold-down so that the wire is not hanging from the solder joint and bending at the solder area.

Steve
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM

As a professional certified A&P mechanic, I also agree with Steve. There's a reason we don't solder wires together in aircraft. They are almost always crimped with high quality connectors using crimping tools. Also, the heat from soldering accelerates the oxidation process which is why its important to use flux or flux wire.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM

We don't solder connections in wind turbines either. All wires use insulated crimped ferrules, and are connected through DIN mounted terminal blocks. Perhaps that may be the answer here?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM

They speak the truth. Solder may have it's own issue later down the road. If you have to do it you may want to put shrink sleeves on them to support them. It may help prevent them from breaking later.

The key to this is to have a tech who can crimp and seal the GM connectors properly. I fine many do not know how to do it right.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
I dont have a surging issue............My car just loses all boost when driving.
I have the same problem and I am hearing about more and more having similar loss of boost issues.