SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

zzp s256 install into automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mississippisunburst
Both hands on the wheel stupid fast! If it hooks, I'm feeling 12's, all with a/c, cruise, xm, and 30mpg highway. Fastest, nicest, most comfortable hot rod I've ever had. Timeslip coming when weather cooperates.
Haven't got am update in a while how's the car holding together? Any numbers for us?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Beast (aka Boydie)

This is great information and a thread I will save for the future.

I have a 5 speed with the s256 ZZP turbo and am thinking about switching to an automatic. The 5 speed is sweet and fun but after a while it is tedious for an older man like me.

Anyone else on this list have an automatic and ZZP s256?

Boydie
Yep, gen 3 with 256 and an auto. I actually have an identical photo on my phone I sent to ZZP. I assume the clearance is not much better on the manual. I did the swap myself so I smoothed out the trans and made my own oil return. The ZZP kit provided clamps I used, that's about it.

X2 on some track figures Mississippi! I've got about the same setup(no tuning yet). My wife can't wait to hit the track with her new engine!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Deceased

Term2 has calmed it down to my taste. I ran the Hot Rod Power Tour and got 29.4 mpg over 1375 miles. It ran 13.41 at Memphis in 95 degree heat spinning tires to 300 ft. 15lbs in 1st gear then 25 to 27lbs. it's just about the most fun you can have with clothes on.

Name:  8721A6A6-E25F-4F28-B080-7F40E0185437.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  353.8 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Very nice, hey quick question. Did you install the turbo kit yourself? More importantly the ZZP IC, the reason I'm asking is because the mounts zzp sent need to be modified so my lower valance will fit. Right now the IC sits a half inch below the bumper so it does not fit!

Thanks,

13.4 is pretty impressive considering your conditions.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Deceased

I struggled with everything fitting. Intercooler, charge pipping, oil return, downpipe, and catback. Spent 7 weeks doing the install with a lift! The intercooler must fit against the bumper for the cover to go on. Re drill the holes in the brackets and it will work.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:29 PM

Yep I planned on that. Couldn't agree more with all your troubles! Had issues with everything. A lift would've been awesome! I did the gen 3 swap with a cherry picker, floor jack, and an ensemble of scissor jacks.

Does your air intake (sewer pipe! thx 05HHR) bolt to anything? I had to make custom mounts for everything. I tapped an open hole in the valve cover and made a bracket for it to mount to. I'm guessing the cobalt has something there we don't. Also, I'm not happy with the crinkle finish on the charge pipes (looks tacky) I'm going to take everything off and sandblast. And then get a nice glossy red for it. While that's apart I planned on raising the IC.

Thanks Mississippi!

By the way, if you need that mount for your intake I still have an extra!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Deceased

My intake (which I thought had to be wrong) isn't mounted to anything. What's your mount look like and what would you want for it?

I am happy with the performance but disappointed with the fit and finish. Everyone seemed give their stuff great reviews.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Lol. I don't want anything ! I have 2 but only 1 sewer pipe (now I can't stop using that) I noticed it rubbing the paint off my valve cover! Now there's darn paint on my filter. That ain't coming out. Anyway shoot me a PM with your address I'll toss it in the mail. There is a blank hole in the valve cover almost right below it, all you need is an M6 "bottoming tap" (no drilling required). Tap it, and my mount has an m6 nut welded to intake side.

I'm also going to send a piece of aluminum that I made first, just in case the mount doesn't quite line up. It's easy to bend in a vice (or with pliers really) has two holes you'll just need 2 m6 bolts and one nut.

And I'm guessing your upper charge pipe just missed the original mounting location, pull off that bracket and put your new m6 tap to work on it! That's what I had to do. Totally agree with the reviews, oh boy if I let my wife make one!! She was so mad from the beginning. I tried telling her custom cars are just that, custom.

Performance is great but it does take some stuffing to get it all in there and together. How bout those clamps! I seriously needed like 2 more threads on each, thank goodness I had some huge pliers around. I'm going to take it all out this weekend for sandblasting and recoating.

Danby
Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
NEVER, EVER, CHANGE THE LINE PRESSURE SETTING
Sorry for bringing old tread back. But I I have a question WHY?