Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

after market wheels and TPMS

Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Cool after market wheels and TPMS

Hello:

Does anyone in here know for sure whether the sensors on the LS factory steel wheels can be carried over to aftermarket wheels that are made for the HHR?

I am getting conflicting stories on this. pepboys says depends (?---not the diaper, I hope)----the HHR probably needs new sensors for the wheels. NTB says no problem. The internet is not conclusive (discount tire and tire rack---although they seem to infer no problem).

Pls chime in if you have had thsi done and what was your experience?

thx
Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by spotty
Hello:

Does anyone in here know for sure whether the sensors on the LS factory steel wheels can be carried over to aftermarket wheels that are made for the HHR?

I am getting conflicting stories on this. pepboys says depends (?---not the diaper, I hope)----the HHR probably needs new sensors for the wheels. NTB says no problem. The internet is not conclusive (discount tire and tire rack---although they seem to infer no problem).

Pls chime in if you have had thsi done and what was your experience?

thx
They can be carried over no problem! I had them pull the ones out of the stock wheels and placed them in my diablo's. I'm gonig to get a second set of the monitors to throw back in the stock wheels this fall. I'd rather have a second set instead of having to break down and carry around 8 pieces instead of 4. The only problem I had was the genious at the shop who did my wheels had a brain cramp and forgot to put one of the sensors in. No biggie though. They placed it in and I just had to recalibrate the sensors. This "How to" can be found in your owners manual. You will need your OEM fob for this.

Last edited by Digital_Rapture; 08-10-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM

thx for your help my friend
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Another question

Does anyone else know what type of wheel----chrome, painted, aluminum---is best in weather like PA.'s. I want only one set of wheels to worry about.

thx
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Spotty, I hate to tell ya, but most people in the rust belt states switch the wheels out for the season if they're running custom wheels.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Doug:

I see your point--but--I had a jeep with painted tan aluminum wheels for 9 years and I never took them off for winter---they looked like new when I reluctantly traded it.

My wife has a 2003 monte---likewise---the wheels have not been switched out for winter and they are also like new.

Of course---both are garaged----don't know if that makes the difference. That is why those damn moons from Mikes were so neat---looked great--easy to switch out---but---alas---they liked to travel!

peace
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM

I bought tires and rims from the tire rack with plans to install the original TPMS in the new wheels. I can get the sensors out by removing the screw but i cannot get the valve stems out. I need the stems so i can screw the TPMS back into the valve stem. Can i just buy the valve stems? Any insight on this would be appreciated. :)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by showcook
I bought tires and rims from the tire rack with plans to install the original TPMS in the new wheels. I can get the sensors out by removing the screw but i cannot get the valve stems out. I need the stems so i can screw the TPMS back into the valve stem. Can i just buy the valve stems? Any insight on this would be appreciated. :)
You have to dismount or at least break the bead to remove the sensor. the valve stem is part of the sensor. Are the wheels and tires coming to you already mounted? If not whoever mounts them can swap the sensors.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 AM

The rubber stems are available separately, and come with the screw. It is quite difficult to get the old ones out without damaging them as the base of the stem is quite a bit larger than the hole in the wheel.