Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/)
-   -   How wide is TOO wide? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/how-wide-too-wide-14476/)

The Lowest Law 04-15-2008 03:50 PM

How wide is TOO wide?

I'm looking at all different sizes of wheels here, and I'm wondering, how wide is TOO wide for rubbing purposes?

soccerjunky 04-15-2008 07:09 PM

phew... i thought u were referring to my wife's ass

tooter1 04-15-2008 07:12 PM

^^:lol: :lol: :laughabov

The Lowest Law 04-15-2008 07:13 PM

haha no. I was talking about wheels. but is it too wide? :lol:

KNEZRYD 04-15-2008 07:31 PM

How wide would also depend on how big you plan on going. If a nice wide lip is what your looking for, trying going one size wider. If you just want to put wider tires you can stay with the stock width wheel. I kept the stock wheel size and went one size wider on the tires. Then when I lowered it the tires would rub when I hit big bumps,dips, or had passengers in the rear. Eventually I changed the rear springs back to stock, however another option I could have pursued is rolling the fenders. At any rate, it pays to do your homework first and you have definitely found the right site for that. I hope my rambling has been of some help to you and good luck.:roll:

The Lowest Law 04-15-2008 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by KNEZRYD (Post 256367)
How wide would also depend on how big you plan on going. If a nice wide lip is what your looking for, trying going one size wider. If you just want to put wider tires you can stay with the stock width wheel. I kept the stock wheel size and went one size wider on the tires. Then when I lowered it the tires would rub when I hit big bumps,dips, or had passengers in the rear. Eventually I changed the rear springs back to stock, however another option I could have pursued is rolling the fenders. At any rate, it pays to do your homework first and you have definitely found the right site for that. I hope my rambling has been of some help to you and good luck.:roll:

it has been. i have the stock 17's on it, and I'm wanting to go to 19's and I'm trying to figure out what's good, and not so good. I'm an ex-motocross racer, so I know dirtbikes, but I don't know **** about cars, and that's where y'all come in. :smile:

KNEZRYD 04-15-2008 10:35 PM

In that case I would stay with a 7.5 width if posible.

SLVR FOX 04-15-2008 10:38 PM

im running a 20x8.5 rim with 235-30-20 tires with new Goldlines.

i was told it would rub and that i would have to roll the rear fenders, but i haven't had a problem. runnin 2-12" subs, box and amp and not a problem over bumps.

1Panel2NV 04-16-2008 11:58 AM

There is a Cobalt with 19x9.5 wheels in the rear. They had to roll the fenders but it does fit. It was lowered as well, on coilovers I believe. Just guessing, but I'd say 10 is the absolute maximum without serious modification.

The Lowest Law 04-16-2008 01:46 PM

what does "roll the fenders" mean?