Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 AM

since my winter tires dont recognize sensors after 100 mile drive, tried to do the trick and make it learn them with remote- but it does not recognize the first one- and aborts... am i forced to renew whole set...? dang.

will this do the trick or do i need the whole damn thingies?
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Service Kit

Last edited by finnhhr; 11-25-2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: add question
Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by finnhhr
since my winter tires dont recognize sensors after 100 mile drive, tried to do the trick and make it learn them with remote- but it does not recognize the first one- and aborts... am i forced to renew whole set...? dang.

will this do the trick or do i need the whole damn thingies?
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Service Kit
Do the winter tires have TPMS sensor units in the wheels? They do need to be the correct type (sames as the other ones). Driving does nothing on the GM system, that's for PTCruisers.

The ONLY trick is to do the TPMS position dance with the new tires on the car. Ignition on, engine off, lock + unlock on the fob. Horn beeps, let air out of LF until the horn beeps, then RF, then RR, then LR horn beeps twice.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM

I see you have a 08 hhr. This was the first year for the tpms. Gm found that the tire psi sensors will not program with the info in the owners manual. The dealer will need to reflash the body controller. Or you have to use a tpms scan tool to set them. There is a tsb on this problem I will see if I can find it.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 PM

Here you go. It's a reflash to the RCDLR not the body controller. Armed with this tsb and asking nicely they may not charge you much if at all. Remember to ask nice it's not a recall so they don't have to do it for free even though they should.

#08-03-16-001B: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 2008)

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2® could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

• Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

• Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

• Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 AM

ouch. sounds difficult. yes i did the "dance" and nearly emptied my front left tire. time ended, dont find the tmps.
yes, it has only 2 year old new TPMS sensors in the tires, worked last time i changed tires year ago...
i have to ask my local car shop. but IF they are busted- whats the difference in the rockauto´s "service kit", is that only the wheel air valve- and changing just it wont help- i need to buy the sensors again?
thx for answers gurus
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM

You can use a tpms scan tool to relearn the sensors. The tool activates each sensor with a signal instead of letting air out to activate it. Most tire shops have them. It's just the do it your self procedure that won't work until the reflash. I have used after market tpms before from napa auto parts with no problems. I wouldn't have a problem using ones from rockauto.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Technical Moderator

Did the TPMS work and be resettable in the other wheels? That's what I got from the OP.

If you could reset the positions previously, then you should be able to replace the sensors.

The problem addressed in the TSB applies to former "fleet" vehicles (at least) that did not have the firmware installed (also no Remote Start) to reset by adding/releasing air. I had one of those, I bought a "Certified" car from a GM dealer and was able to bully them into installing the correct firmware for free, but that was in 2009. The Tech could not physically find the RCDLR until I told him where to look, the "book" claims that it lives back under the RR interior panel, not under the headliner near the mirror.

There is a tool that can read the RCDLR registers and then rearrange the order and insert new ones. A TechII scanner can do it, but there are also special tools. Each TPMS sensor has a UUID that needs to be read and then placed into the proper position in the stack. I am not very good at tech talk, so forgive any misused words.

I could not get anybody to tell me if a EL-50448 tool would work or not, I suspect that it would. But, I was not willing to spend the money to find out. Actually, that was before the made the "new cheaper" TPM tool available for the 2010 models.

That TPMS Service kit is most likely just the O-ring and stem cap that the tire stores rip you off for.

Last edited by donbrew; 11-28-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM

finally got it to shop for programming- no can do! 2 year old sensors busted cause they are in winter tires, they must emptied their batteries...
so whats the best of the bargains in sensors? do i have to go to ACDELCO for whopping 30$ piece?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM

I have used replacement sensors from napa auto parts but they were not much cheaper than delco. I order delco sensors on line for my winter tires. Sometimes you can get a better price in a package deal.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 AM

ordered ac delcos, funny thing- came from states but country of origin is UK; great Britain... must be same in use on some opels and vauxhalls?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's