Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/)
-   -   Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/tire-pressure-monitoring-sensors-16727/)

StormChaser 07-14-2008 08:56 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors?

I'm seriously considering smothies and white walls...but I dont want to loose my Tire Pressure Monitoring system function. Is the sensor part of the valve stem or the rim? Can it be removed from the stock rims and put on the after market ones? :confused:

Boarder 07-14-2008 09:19 PM

The stems are two piece. A stem that snaps in like a regular valve stem and then the sensor that screws onto it. Yes, you can easily put sensors in the aftermarket wheels. I'd advise on getting new stem parts and not trying to reuse. That's the cheap part of the sensor setup.

REDFLYR 07-15-2008 02:26 AM

Is this a factory TPMS?

Boarder 07-17-2008 09:37 PM

Yes. And the HHr can use the same as the Tahoe, Silverado, etc.

Armadillo 10-25-2008 04:01 PM

Can anyone tell me, is the tire sensor any issue for a shop when getting a tire patched?
Can they just put the current sensor on a new stem, or will I need a new sensor?

ChevyMgr 10-25-2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Armadillo (Post 322639)
Can anyone tell me, is the tire sensor any issue for a shop when getting a tire patched?
Can they just put the current sensor on a new stem, or will I need a new sensor?

The only issue is if they are not careful and brake the sensor when dismounting the tire. You won't need a new stem. It stays attached just like a non TPS stem would.

BigMOCats 10-25-2008 05:14 PM

While we're on the subject........can you run with out the sensors? Reason being I put the sensors on my aftermarket wheels and want to put the factory wheels and tires on for winter. Must I buy new sensors or just remount the tires and swap them out. What does it do, just alert you when you start the car?

StormChaser 10-25-2008 05:52 PM

Sure, you CAN run wihout them, but you will get an error every time you start. IMHO, its wirth the $$ to get a second set of sensors, not a big deal in the long run.

ChevyMgr 10-25-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigMOCats (Post 322651)
While we're on the subject........can you run with out the sensors? Reason being I put the sensors on my aftermarket wheels and want to put the factory wheels and tires on for winter. Must I buy new sensors or just remount the tires and swap them out. What does it do, just alert you when you start the car?

If you go without the TPS light will stay on and the tire readings will be dashes.

You can swap from one wheel to another, they will need to be learned unless you put them in the exact location on the vehicle that you removed them from.

CarlsSS 10-29-2008 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 322660)
If you go without the TPS light will stay on and the tire readings will be dashes.

Is there a way to disable the TPMS light while I have my winter tires on? I just mounted them tonight and I did not install the sensors in this seconds set.

One other qestion... I did take the SS for about a 2 mile ride after I put them on, and the light never came on. Was this because the OEM tires/rims were sitting there in the garage when I sarted the car there?