Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/)
-   -   UHP or Touring? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tires-wheels-49/uhp-touring-61623/)

Vinnybagodoughnuts 04-13-2019 09:55 AM

UHP or Touring?

Well its time for a new set of shoes for my Goldie.(2007 2LT) The car currently has a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's on it.(previous owner) Was considering a touring tire since I understand this is what came on the car originally.I live in a rural area with poor roads and was wondering how much of a difference in ride I could expect?
These are the tire's I am considering. 215/50 R17
General Gmax AS05
General Altimax RT43
I like the way the car handles but am considering the touring tire to help smooth out the harshness of the potholes around here.I also just rebuilt the entire front end and would like it to last awhile.:thumb: If anyone has some advice that has used both types of tire I would love to hear it.Thank you for taking the time.

sleeper 04-13-2019 08:19 PM

Haven't used those brands specifically, but on my 2LT I upped the size to 225/50/17 on the factory alloy mags.
It gives a bit more rubber sidewall to help absorb the bumps etc.

Anyhow I switched back in 2009 or so, & have been enjoying the diff ever since. The Speed-O will be about 1.3mph slower than your actual speed.

fastsuv 04-13-2019 10:47 PM

I had Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2s on my HHR a few years ago. Then I switched to General Altimax RT43s. The Generals last longer and are a little more compliant when hitting rough roads. The Hankooks were maybe a little better on dry road grip.

The General Altimax RT43 are very good all-around tires for a good price. I have them on 4 vehicles in our family.

Steve

Vinnybagodoughnuts 04-14-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 864285)
Haven't used those brands specifically, but on my 2LT I upped the size to 225/50/17 on the factory alloy mags.
It gives a bit more rubber sidewall to help absorb the bumps etc.

Anyhow I switched back in 2009 or so, & have been enjoying the diff ever since. The Speed-O will be about 1.3mph slower than your actual speed.

The previous owner replaced the stock rims with Zen wheels. Not sure if they are exactly the same offset so I would be a little hesitant to try this.How much clearance do you have for the struts?

Vinnybagodoughnuts 04-14-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv (Post 864292)
I had Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2s on my HHR a few years ago. Then I switched to General Altimax RT43s. The Generals last longer and are a little more compliant when hitting rough roads. The Hankooks were maybe a little better on dry road grip.

The General Altimax RT43 are very good all-around tires for a good price. I have them on 4 vehicles in our family.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Both General tires I listed have good reviews on Tire Rack. I am leaning towards the Altimax but I think the Gmax's are alot cheaper and tire life is not really a factor for me as I don't put too many miles on her.I am impressed by the Hankooks dry and wet capabilities but they are A little too stiff on bumpy roads.Really appreciate your input.:thumb:

sleeper 04-14-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vinnybagodoughnuts (Post 864298)
The previous owner replaced the stock rims with Zen wheels. Not sure if they are exactly the same offset so I would be a little hesitant to try this.How much clearance do you have for the struts?

This much on 26.1 tall tires.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...8380f8c4e1.jpg

Vinnybagodoughnuts 04-15-2019 08:27 AM

Yeah that's pretty tight.

Oldblue 04-15-2019 08:28 AM

Better to find out that , before you lay your money down!

sleeper 04-15-2019 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 864326)
Better to find out that , before you lay your money down!

Yep, so true..

Vinnybagodoughnuts 04-16-2019 12:30 PM

Thanks guys for your input and dedication to this site.:smile:
It has been an invaluable resource for me. I went ahead and ordered the Gmax AS05's. 400.00$ installed.I will of course update this thread after I have had the chance to break them in.Maybe it will help someone else in the future.:thumb: