War Stories HHR vs all

The craziest story

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:40 AM

The craziest story

So, my wife and I have been talking about moving to a new side of town. That's narrowed down to two areas, which we explored tonight to check access to basic amenities at each area.

We had just left one side of town and were moving on to another side when we came under an overpass to stopped traffic. It took a minute to put together what exactly was going on. The car to the right of me was a super bee on street slicks with several Corvettes, Mustangs, assorted domestics, and exotics. Around 25 cars total. All were stopped on a little traveled service road in an odd area. This was an organized, illegal street racing event.

I don't street race because I feel like it's too easy to get out of hand with 2 or more people racing down a public road, doing what they have to do in order to dominate. It's dangerous.

That being said, I realized what was going on and the crowd behind me was growing. Just then I realized that I was going to get trapped where the cops may be called and I'd be completely stuck, trying to convince a cop that I wasn't street racing my turbo SS. I pulled, in reverse, around a few people until I finally worked my way away from the group.

After that, my wife and I bolted as quick as possible to keep from getting arrested. We got out of the area, free and clear and the only thing we can do now is laugh our asses off. I mean, who can tell that story?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Deceased

Dangerous, yup.

Crazy, sure.

Wrong place, right time, or right place, wrong time...both apply.

You took the responsible course of action, but the 20 year old street racer that's stuck in my aging body might have won out over common sense in that situation.

Back in the early 80's, I was a terror in a Camaro who'd "throw down for Pinks" in a heartbeat. That being said, if my son takes after me in 14 years when he can drive, I'll strangle him.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM

The me 5-6 years ago would have been arranging cash bets to race against my RX7 and side bets on other races. I would have dropped my wife off on the shoulder of the freeway to watch for cops before I started. The me 7-8 years ago would have jumped in both feet without checking the scene at all. Would have lost a few bucks racing cars that were way too fast for me and probably would have cut down a side street at high speeds when the first lights and sirens came around.

Now, I know the consequences and I've played the odds way too many times. I absolutely hate having to stay at/around the speed limit in a car that's this fast, but I'd rather wait and hit street night Friday night at any of the tracks in the area. The county I'm in will impound my car for 30 days, no questions asked, and throw me in jail for the night until they decide what to charge me with. I wouldn't run from the cops these days at all. I'd just take what's coming to me.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 AM
geg

No one is immune from the tyranny of the authorities.
Himself a couple of times sitting in the bullpen on a false suspicion.