War Stories HHR vs all

HHR vs Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM

HHR vs Flooding

I live in Florida where it rains a lot and floods a lot too. When a tropical storm or hurricane even brush by, it means tons of rain. The drainage in Florida isn't great, I guess because we're at sea level.

A few weeks ago, it rained like crazy near my job. I didn't bring a lunch and the rain and flooding were so bad that no one was delivering, so I had to venture out.

When I got outside, everywhere I looked was a swimming pool. The rain was coming down much faster than it could drain off. Still, I needed food, and no one was foolish enough to bring it to me, so I would be the fool that flew in the face of logic and reason.

I got in the car and drove down to the burger place. The entire trip was nothing but driving through a series of ponds, leaving mini tidal waves in my wake. She sounded like she wanted to stall a few times, but with steady pressure on the gas pedal, she made it through to the burger place.

On the way back, I saw several cars stalled out along the side of the road. I chuckled to myself as I drove past those much more expensive and exotic cars, drenching them with waves of rainwater.

Several hours later, it was time to leave, and those same people with those same stalled out cars were still there. They hadn't budged. I drove home, laughing to myself, remembering what my dad and brother said. "Expensive cars only mean more expensive upkeep. Drive a Chevy."

The HHR is a car that's tough as nails and pretty as a picture. She's with you in the good times and supports you in bad times. She's not high maintenance, and she doesn't mind getting dirty. I love you HHR. I love you a lot.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Technical Moderator

And then you hit the submerged log! "Turn around, don't drown". You cannot tell what is under a puddle, it could be a sinkhole (especially in Fla.).
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Deceased

I'm glad your HHR was able to get you through the high water safely, but your story also gave me a case of heart failure.

Please think long and hard before you use it as a motorboat again. HHR's get their intake air for the engine from the right front fender. Driving in high water can cause them to inhale water which will destroy the engine in seconds.

They will float, any car or low slung SUV will float in as little as 12 inches of water, but then you'll take on water and sink. Several of the onboard computer modules are installed at or near floor level, get them wet, it's game over.

You seem to really love your ride, and I'm trying not to be to preachy here, but keep it parked when the roads are flooding...You'll both be happier, and most importantly, safer.

As Don said, turn around, don't drown.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Plenty of folks back in Clovis had jon boats, canoes, and other entirely maintenance-free boats, sitting around for the next "seven-year" flood.