War Stories HHR vs all

HHR vs Ford Focus

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 PM

HHR vs Ford Focus

Not actually a race but more of an acceleration/handling comparison. Kinda lengthy but here goes...

I was sitting outside my house smoking a cigarette and I hear a popping sound coming from up the street. I didn't pay any attention to it until one of the "pops" got loud and came from right in front of my house. I saw a 2-door focus hatchback drive by really slowly with the windows down. I walked to the back of my car and checked things out. Nothing. Checked the back of my father-in-law's PT Cruiser. Nothing. Decided to look at my wife's Mazda 3 that was parked in the street. I see a bright yellow paint splatter. The "popping" sound was coming from a paintball gun that the guys in the focus were shooting.

By this time, they had already made it to the end of the street and turned. I decided to see if I could go find them to report this to the authorities. I see them coming down a side street towards me and hear their paintball gun firing again. I turn down another street that connects to the street I saw them on and find myself behind the Focus. After a few hundred yards, I hear a loud buzzing sound and the Focus slowly starts pulling away from me.

I get on it and catch back up fairly quickly and get their plate number while I'm on the phone with the police. I tell them where we're at and they ask if I can follow them until an officer can catch up. Did the police just ask me if I would chase these guys down for them?? Being the good samaritan I am, I tell them I'll give it my best shot

I follow them off of the side road onto a 4-lane road where they cut off someone turning onto it. I get out behind them and catch up and they turn off onto another side road and cut their lights off. This road re-connects to the 4-lane we were just on. My HHR is hanging with them every step of the way

They get back onto the 4-lane and turn their lights back on and I'm right behind them. We're now coming up on a red light at an intersection which they avoid by cutting through a parking lot. Lucky for me, the light turns green and I'm right back with them in a couple of seconds. The dispatcher on the phone asks where we're at and about that time, they pass a car in the turning lane. This car turns out to be a police officer and they flash their lights and it's over as quickly as it began. The 19 yr old kids both get a destruction of property and the driver gets a reckless driving ticket.

After it was all said and done, I was proud of my lil wagon. It handled about like expected. There were a few times where I felt the rear end getting a little loose and felt a little understeer, but it's bone stock and on damp roads. Guess it's time for a rear sway bar just in case something like this happens again
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM

We need a "like" button.
Glad you are ok and the dudes will be held responsible.

@
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 AM

Thats grate to hear Im not sure but in CA it is considered a felony (wobbler) to even discharge a paint ball gun in city limits well at least when I was in High school it was. I use to work at a Surplus store that sold them. Things May have changed now.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM

glad you helped catch the punks !
Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

i just don't understand people....

My parents live out in the country and have to replace their mailbox all the time because people come by and bash it. It just makes no sense.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM

I'm pretty sure driving with a gun and shooting it out your window is a felony nation wide (toy or not), And theres a good chance you'll be shot by the 1st police officer that sees it.